Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoria

can i do without a resistor between 7 and 8?

http://www.bandtank.com/~calculusap/555.wmf

can i just have 8 to +v and 7 through R2 to C1?

this would be easier because the time constant would only be determined by 2 components (C1 and R2) instead of 3. let me know any reprocussions of this? do i need to replace R1 with a jumper, or can i just take it out?

david

No you can't do without it. It will blow off the internal resistors of 555. For safe operation, resistor of atleast 5k is required between pin 7 & 8.

You can use 555 without having to use resistors in series with 7 and 8 but it depends on the chip itself but you'll have to check the ratings of your IC

This thing has been mentioned in the datasheet and use of resistor is logical. If you see internal block diagram of 555, pin 7 and 8 has a resistor of 5K which provides a 2/3 Vcc voltage to the upper comparator of 555. Now if you connect a lower value rsistor(<5k), the potential divider network will be disturbed and thus this reference voltage will also be disturbed and you won't get desired operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back