Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 -astable mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
stevez said:
What I will do though is to use the 10:1 probe just to see what happens.

I just the same test with a 1:1 probe and the waveform is still the same between 2 and 4V. So I can eliminate that the probe the culprit, as have correctly predicted by Ron H.

stevez said:
For what it's worth I start my test by connecting the DMM. I then add the scope or remove the DMM and chech with the scope. I've not noticed any shift but that doesn't mean it isn't happening.

What I will do though is to use the 10:1 probe just to see what happens.

Thanks for working thru this with me. It's supposed to rain tomorrow -perfect day to tinker a bit on the bench for a bit.
When you measure frequency, do it on pin 3. Then you won't be changing the capacitance or resistance of the timing circuit.
Maybe the cap on pin 5 is leaky. You can safely remove it. I don't think that's the problem, though. It would also affect the upper threshold, and even more so than the lower one.

Good ideas - I'll try them.

For what it's worth, I built several versions of this with different parts. Admittedly the capacitors at pin 5 came from the same batch of older disc capacitors. It's certainly possible that they've deteriorated. Easy enough to remove!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back