Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5 pin SOT-23 device on stripboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb99

I've been building a number of small PIC microcontroller based projects just for a hobby.

For my next project I need some external EEPROM storage but it looks like to meet my requirements I need something like this chip.

Unfortunately for me it seems to only be available in a SOT-23 5 pin package which doesn't really suit me as I'm building my circuits on stripboard and don't really have any PCB building facilities at this time.

But I'm thinking as it only has 5 pins how practical would it be for me to solder 5 very fine wires to the pins and then to tracks on my board and then "glue" the chip to the board. Or is there some alternative way I could use it without a PCB? Any advice at all would be welcome. My soldering skills are not that great through lack of practice but they are certainly good enough to build stripboard projects reliably... And these seem cheap enough that if I destoyed one it wouldn't be a disaster... Just wondered how hard this would be?

or are there any alternative products that I might use that would better suit my needs that I've not spotted yet?

Because despite searching for an hour I didn't manage to find that! I don't know why the search didn't find it.
That would suit my purposes MUCH better, thank you. I will use that or similar.

I guess my questions still stands for general interest though even though I won't do it for this project now, how practical is it to use surface mount components in this way? I mean the small ones, not the ones with many pins.

For prototyping I use these,
**broken link removed**
available from here.

Doing what you suggest is possible bit a bit fiddly.

BTW, if you need it to be I²C then use the parametric search and select 32k and I²C.

Mike.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on those boards. A bit expensive for delivery to the Uk where I am, but I expect I can find a supplier or something similar here if I need one.

I used the parametric search, I just didn't find what I needed although it's working fine for me now. I must have chosen some wrong option the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back