Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

465 scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Most Helpful Member
I have a trusty 465 scope that I've had for 30 years. But I live in Arizona where it is hot dry and dusty. I think the dust has invaded the little switches that change the voltage scales. Sometimes when changing scales the amplitude is way off. Usually a tap will fix it but it seems to be getting worse with age. I tried cleaning them with isopropal a year or 2 ago and it seemed to help a little, but I'm afraid the dust may be imbedded in the gold contacts. I'm thinking about trying to slip a piece of paper in between the contacts in hope of cleaning them off, but I'm a little afraid that even a slight bending of the contacts might loosen them up.
Has anyone else had this problem and know a fix?

I think paper strips and IPA is the most-recommended way of cleaning those contacts. I have also followed up with a dab of Deoxit with positive results. (Some might disagree with that.) Just go slow and be careful not to bend the leafs. In addition to the ones you can readily access by taking off the shields, there's some in the back too, and that requires disassembly (not fun.) Pull out the attenuator modules (10X and 100X, if memory serves) and clean the pins on those as well. That also gives better access to the contacts. Careful not to swap the modules between channels.

There is also a leaf switch at the back of the vertical amp board for Trig View and BW Limit. If one side of that gets flaky, it cuts deflection in half. That's pretty easy to get to, so clean it first, it may solve your problems.

Thanks for the input! I'll give it a go next time I have and afternoon to play.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back