Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4013 IC Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN the data sheet it is specified that this ic can deliver only 2.4ma of current, can you disconnect the load(resistor and led) and check the output using multimeter.

it doesn't matter though because I have already tried disconnecting the resistor and just using the led and like I said it doesn't do a thing different. Thanks anyway though

I don't have any caps on it whats in that original drwing is whats on it now I haven't had time to piddle with it today

thanks len,
for the symbol info, must admit I overlooked the 'smilies' options.

Regards
EricG

hi pescody,
from the way the circuit is connected, it should work as you want it to.

that is, you press the switch and the LED goes on, press switch again LED goes off. [repeating]

Today I will breadboard your exact circuit and give it a practical test, I'll
let you know.

Regards
EricG

Do you have a DVM or Scope you can use ?

hi pescody,

built your circuit.
Tried a number of switches, found best results were with the 0.22microfarad
capacitor removed. Works every time.
Works ok for supplies from +5v thru +12v
At +9v with my LED, the LED draws 9 milliamp. [ nice and bright]

With the capacitor in circuit, using the scope to measure pin 11, the
slow rise time of the voltage at pin 11, when the switch was opened, caused
the device to go unstable. This is one of the problems with this type
of configuration. The 4013 requires a clean/fast rising clock edge to ensure correct operation.
Using a mechanical switch with 'bounce', which you then
try to filter out, using a resistor/capacitor filter, just 'masks' the problem.

I would suggest that you look at the dual invertor diagram that has been
posted.

Hope this helps.

Regards
EricG

ljcox said:
The reason is that there is no change when you press the button. So you need a pull down resistor between pins 11 and 8.

Then you will toggle the FF in a random manner due to contact bounce.

I suggest you search this forum for "contact bounce" There have been plenty of posts on it in the past.

Hi sir
Sarma from india-- these students want, i fear, to learn direct from a fast food like ready stuff-- i only pity why they don't go thro the funda of the D flip flops and how to configure them, liitle extra reading of books like 'fundamentals of digital principles' by Malvino and Leach and do liitle reharsal-- i feel they will enjoy ICs functioning to their wiring as they want.

instead, they make us do their home work-- finally come out of an institution and go for IT related jobs and foget these things-- a day will come where no one knows hardware. Internationally SAD state of affairs. After all it takes 2 mnts to thro a working design-- and these students are permanantly damaged as thier thinking capacities are not and need not be applied. No wonder they become tomorrows Lecturers and professors.

Last edited:
Ok mvs sarma let me explain something.

I live in a small town so to get books I have to drive 2 hours away or order them through something like amazon (I don't have a credit card I'm only 18 so basically no way to order them besides money orders). I work 50+ hours a week so I haven't really had a "break" to go to the next town to get any books.

Next I am a student but electronics isn't my major its just my hobby that I have gotten into. My major, if anyone cares, is architecture. This circuit has nothing to do with school its just me trying to figure out how to use this IC. I have googled the IC and read a few college labs on this IC but none of the information I have found is really that descriptive besides the data sheet and parts of it are over my head at the moment so I am asking questions so that I can figure out more how this IC works and how to use it properly. It also helps to actually get a working model of a circuit to learn off of, which I wasn't far off with my original circuit so I wouldn't say I was just wanting someone to give me plans to something.

My original question was why wasn't my circuit working? I got an answer from ericgibbs (which I haven't got to test yet but I thank him for it) it helped a bunch.

I'm sorry for this "rant" type post but I'm tired of asking questions to help me figure out stuff about this new hobby I've gotten into and in response being thought of as a lazy college student asking for someone to do my homework for me. I haven't and won't take a college electronics class because when I take a class on something that I'm interested in it makes me lose interest in it because they hold me back and put restrictions on everything and I can have fun and learn it much better on my own.

I took an electronics course my freshman year of high school and I was really into electronics but after taking that course I hated electronics because of the teacher and his methods of teaching, like just letting us build kits and such while I was wanting to make my own things not something in a box with instructions like a lego set. And now that I've gotten back into electronics I don't want to be put off by the thought of class and assigned work.

I really am trying to learn this stuff but, correct me if I'm wrong, if you don't know how to do something the best thing to do would be to ask someone who may have more knowledge about it than you and thats what I was trying to do in this post because I couldn't find any explanation for what I was looking for on the internet or in any of my books. Thanks and sorry for the long post but that last post kinda set me off sorry about that.

Thanks ericgibbs and everyone else for all the information

edit: ok I made some paragraphs, sorry about that I forget to make it easy to read when I type.

Last edited:
no I didn't but I got it working thanks to everyone for the help. I'm sorry for that long post but I found mvs sarmas post in broken english to be quite insulting so I felt the need to reply to that. But yeah I got it to work and now I understand what I was doing wrong thanks

psecody said:
no I didn't but I got it working thanks to everyone for the help. I'm sorry for that long post but I found mvs sarmas post in broken english to be quite insulting so I felt the need to reply to that. But yeah I got it to work and now I understand what I was doing wrong thanks
I'm afraid he hit the wrong target. Those of us that help become a little tired of people expecting us to do their homework for them.
Perhaps in any future posts, you should indicate that it is not homework.

Nigel Goodwin said:
You might try using paragraphs occasionally?, I just didn't bother reading it!.
I agree.

I find text without paragraphing difficult to read, and like Nigel, sometimes I don't bother.

Hi Psecody,
i really didn't mean hurting you or anyone for that purpose. you may please understand my anguish to see a better tomorrow. i really feel sorry, if you feel hurt. yah, i understand that we get stuck sometimes and see for help.

Fine

traffic light

Hi,

I'm a university student, i should design a traffic light system using IC1 4047B, IC2 4013B, IC3 4011B.
Please help me with the functions of these ICs.

My regards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm a university student, i should design a traffic light system using IC1 4047B, IC2 4013B, IC3 4011B.
Please help me with the functions of these ICs.

My regards.

Hi Psecody,
I am sorry you were insulted about school work when you are only trying to learn about electronics yourself.
The problem is because we get millions of demands from Indian school kids for us to do their homework for them. I guess their teachers are useless. I don't know why kids in India don't go to websites in India.
I get hundreds of PMs per month about school work from Indian kids.
Maybe I should remove the word Guru from my online name. How about AudioGeek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back