Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

40 Pin PICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalaran

I've currently been working with the 16F series and am looking to purchase a couple of larger PICs for when my easypic board comes in.

What is your suggestion or which to get or what is most popular?

Thanks.

I prefer smaller ones, I always find the 40 pin chips a bit vulgar.You should define your problem and pick a relative chip.

I just ordered some 18F14K50s and they are 20 pin but can do USB.

Bigger is not always better.

Mike.

I like the 28pin size. They have enough pins to drive the text LCD and heaps of inputs etc but they are easier to use for final projects in hardware, 40 pin are a bit big and clumsy for putting in PCBs.

The EasyPIC should come with a 16F887, so you might want some more of those or the 16F886 (28pin version).

I'd definitely suggest some 8pin wonders like 12F675 or 12F683. You can make some real powerful little doodads with an 8pin PIC with ADC.

And maybe some of the more powerful 18F series in the 28pin, like 18F252 or whatever it's new replacement is 18F2520? etc.

Last edited:
Hi,

For development work I generally use a 40 pin chip mainly beause you can leave the programming and debugging ports free and it has so many more functions to play with.

Suggest you go for the 18F chips rather than the 16F, if you are doing assembler it is so much easier, if you are doing C they have so much more memory - the 18F4520 or 4620 are good cheap choices.

Fair enough. Thanks all. I will most likely be ordering the 16f886's, should give me enough room to have some fun for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back