Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4-Way Light with Motion Detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Shown below is a layout map of an existing 4-way lighting circuit. I would like to put a motion-detector switch in it to provide timed lighting for the driveway. Can I do this and still have full 4-way control? Thanks.

Attachments

• outdoor_lights.jpg
    outdoor_lights.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2,449
Hi,
sure you can!

I suppose that you have factory assembled motion sensors (PYRs perhaps?). In that case, just connect the sensor's relay in parallel with the switch.

Hi,
Your answer won't work. A 4-way lighting system is comprised of two SPDT switches and one DPDT switches. If I parallel the motion-detector switch, most likely a SPST, then turn off the circuit, it will never be able to turn it on again automatically. It would work perfectly if I could get a motion-detector with a 3-way (SPDT) output. Below is a generic wiring diagram for a 4-way lighting circuit. Maybe you can give me an idea of what I need to do. Thanks.

Attachments

• 4-Way_Lamp.jpg
    4-Way_Lamp.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 2,412
Why can't you do it like this? You obviously can't turn the light off until the motion sensor times out, but that shouldn't be a problem. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 4-Way_Lamp_198.jpg
    4-Way_Lamp_198.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 9,898
Hi Ron H,
Technically, you are correct. I failed, however, to stipulate one essential criteria: The wiring between the house and shop is underground! Is there anyway to do it without digging up my driveway and patio? RF relay, perhaps?

If an SPDT will work, simply use the motion sensor to control an SPDT (form C) relay.

Ron's first idea is the only decent way to work out the problem, using the motion detector output to jumper around the circuit. However, no matter how you use the motion detector in this circuit, you'll have to have it permanently connected to the 120v and have the output drive a relay that's connected between the source and the load. Reason? The motion dectector derives its power from the source and if you're always using the other switches to control the light, you'll interrupt power to the motion detector, either rendering it inoperative or in the case of some models, resetting them to some default mode of operation (like, ON all the time).

Even using relays and constantly powering the motion detector, you CANNOT just substitute the relay output for one of the switches in the lighting system. For the same motion detector that turns on the extinguished light when activated will also turn off the "burning" light when activated!

Dean

Is there a way to make it so when the motion sensor is tripped, that it could turn on lets say a lamp, wirelesly? But the sensor and the lamp for a example, had there own power source. i was looking at **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back