Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4 uses for resistor???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This meabe:
1 Limits curent
2 Limits voltage
3 As a pudown resistor(Digital driving a transistor)
4 As a feedback at Op. Amps

lol homework kinda looking.

1) power disipater
2) voltage divider
3) current divider/shunt
4) Fantastic use of an industrial pacement student in sorting
5) current limiting (for C/L time constant or in a current source)

Litnig a smoker?The resistor is thean burned out.Its beter to use some iron wire(I conected this over tvo 4.5 v baterys and the iron wire golvd red,whith a tiner one it functones as a light bulb)

Must be homework.

Resistors can be and are used as heating elements.

Sometimes one is used in a thermostat on a home heating system - to actually slightly warm the thermostat element so that the heat doesn't stay on too long. I think the term "anticipator" is used. It's not a lot of heat but apparently makes a difference in how well the control works.

One project I looked at recently used power resistors to supply heat to stabilize an oscillator. A controller varied the power to the resistors to maintain a constant temperature.

stevez said:
One project I looked at recently used power resistors to supply heat to stabilize an oscillator. A controller varied the power to the resistors to maintain a constant temperature.

Crystal ovens commonly work in the same way.

We used to have two (very old) cable systems at work, one was 405 VHF only (I told you they were old!) - the other was VHF 405 and 625 (with the UHF 625 converted down to VHF). The down converters were built in diecast aluminium boxes, and used simple free running LC local oscillators, to keep them reasonably stable they had a couple of large wirewound resistors inside to keep them warm :lol:

The down-converters were transistorised, everything else on both systems was valve! - it was really horrible, we were very pleased to scrap them both when local UHF relay transmitters eventually appeared.

Nigel Goodwin said:
stevez said:
We used to have two (very old) cable systems at work, one was 405 VHF only (I told you they were old!) - the other was VHF 405 and 625 (with the UHF 625 converted down to VHF). The down converters were built in diecast aluminium boxes, and used simple free running LC local oscillators, to keep them reasonably stable they had a couple of large wirewound resistors inside to keep them warm :lol:............

Wolsey?

"used to use 10 ohm ones across 12v to light smokes with"

Well, this is an extremely low resistance example, but I used to serve on a submarine and they would keep the O2 level low to supress/prevent fires. In those days, smoking was allowed... but the O2 level was too low to light a match, so the desperate would put a strand of a wire across the terminals of a 6V lantern battery to light their coffin nails.

j.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back