Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3x3x3 LED Cube - can i use16f628 instead 16f690

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a sine wave LED fader. They look very natural and smooth, not clunky and abrupt like normal faders. Most LED faders simply increment/decrement a value each step, what you get is a triangle wave, to the human eye it gets bright and stays bright abnormally long and fades very fast compared to a true sine wave.
Another project to add to that is a software shift register based random number generator to randomly step through a sine table to give your LED a perfect 'candle flicker' effect.

The random number bit is a little difficult to understand intuativly but incredibly easy to implement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_feedback_shift_register

Last edited:
Hello, I'm new here.

I bumped this because I want to attempt to make this LED cube with a 16F628a. But I need some help. I have a bit of experience with electronic circuits but not much with PIC microcontrollers. I have only built one circuit in the past with a 16F628a, an LED mood lamp. But all I did was fallow the instructions to program the chip. I haven't a clue how to augment or write a program.

Anyways, I have this Serial Port Programmer. I have only used ICprog in the past. Can I use ICprog and my programmer to program the 16F628a? If so, I assume I just upload the hex file right? How can I edit the hex file to add my own designs? In the original Instructables version of this cube there is a sequence generator program. Can I use that program? How do I add the generated file that program creates into the hex?

I know thats a mouthful but I would really appreciate any help. I just wanna get a good grasp on this before I attempt to make it.

Thanx alot!

-Tony

Thank You

I've downloaded mplab but how do I access the program in that video? ICprog wont work? Why?

-Tony

You can try ICprog it it may work. It's not going to kill any thing To try it. Dowload it and run it.

hei be80be.. can u help me? i had made a successful led cube using pic16f628 but one column does not work, the column connected to RA5.

It should work how do you have RA5 hook up it should go to the base of the transistor Like this **broken link removed**
Post the .asm your using one on here was wrong

Last edited:
I used RA3, RA6, and RA7 for the layers. And i used RB0, RB1, RB2, RB3, RB4, RB5, RB6, RB7, and RA5 for the columns. It worked, the LEDs flashes correct pattern but RA5 doesn't work. I measured it with a tester and there was a zero voltage.

Guess you just skipped past my post. I'm sure it's not relevant. No problem.

Mike.

Your right Mike RA5 is input only I have done this cube with so many chips thats
why I said look at the code on the 16f628a RA5 is not used you use RA3

On the 16f690 you use RA5 If any one that makes this will read the code it tells witch to use

Last edited:
hei be80be, i saw in your first asm file "status, C", but in your new file you changed it to "status, RPQ" . What's the difference?

I think your looking at something I didn't do this is for bank changes
bsf STATUS,RP0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back