Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3volts interface to MC serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Nabil

Hi every single one
i've a GPS module deals with the serial port of the MC,
my problem is the GPS module deals with 3 volts ( Tx and Rx ),
for the Tx of the MC i used a variable resistance as a voltage divider in order to reduce the input signal for the module, so what about Rx of the MC ,
shall i connect the output of the module ( 3v ) directly to the Rx of the MC directly ?!!!! from 3v to 5v !!!!!! i am goin' crazy, some body help me please,
i am afraid to connect that directly, i can feel this goin' to damage the module,
if i am wrong somebody tell me , i am wrong,
if not, somebody tell me the solution of my problem
:roll:

Peter Nabil said:
Hi every single one
i've a GPS module deals with the serial port of the MC,
my problem is the GPS module deals with 3 volts ( Tx and Rx ),
for the Tx of the MC i used a variable resistance as a voltage divider in order to reduce the input signal for the module, so what about Rx of the MC ,
shall i connect the output of the module ( 3v ) directly to the Rx of the MC directly ?!!!! from 3v to 5v !!!!!! i am goin' crazy, some body help me please,
i am afraid to connect that directly, i can feel this goin' to damage the module,
if i am wrong somebody tell me , i am wrong,
if not, somebody tell me the solution of my problem
:roll:

Just connect the signal directly - you can't damage the module by connecting it's output to a logic input, and 3V logic is within normal 5V logic specifications. Certainly PIC's work quite happily like that, though you might like to add a series resistor between them, in case the input pin gets switched accidently to be an output!.

The other way might, or might not, require a potential divider - it depends on the design of the input circuit. If it was a PIC, a simple series resistor is enough, the internal protection diodes will clamp it to the supply rails, the series resistor is just to limit the current through the diodes. But using a potential divider won't do any harm anyway, and it's probably not worth the risk for the cost of a single resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back