Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3G Mobile Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1

G'day Guy's,
Well mobile reception on the farm has died and after ringing Telstra today I have a level 3 tech support going to get the signal back so I can use it like it used to be before this fault has happened. My wife did she would do the call but after a call when I was at my shed was cut off after ringing, time to ring and find out why. After a 2 hour tech call where I took the sim out of my iphone 4 and put it in my old nokia 5140i phone after the call on that it got leveled upto the 3. I did get a call back an hour later saying there is a fault and they will ring me to do some tests.

Ok onto this 3G repeater, eh it is only a circuit and when I started electronics I did read to make an amplifier is the first thing to do. Well being me I didn't bother as it didn't suit my needs. now later in life it may be time to read the AERL handbook.

Anyway in the past have any guy's made one as I'm sure it could be low powered like the stuff I'm making now, eg: Electric fence controller 12 volt 50mA that has stopped the cows coming over. My missus said the hotbox I made years ago has killed all the early plantings of basil so I decided to put in strings of 6 some IR led's(voltage matched) and got the current draw set at 100mA. After a day 2 of the basil is showing signs of regrowth and they are growing in total eye conception a totally dark environment.

So is it plasuable to make ones own 3G repeater knowing full well the signal to noise ratio MUST be kept within limits and the ACMA has said crude devices made in the past has disrupted the base tower so it is understandable they put in laws to stop shock jocks from getting in.

It is time I got in my old mode and did some research but this will be a totally new field to me and I'm sure exciting times to come.

Regards Bryan

A 3G repeater doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to a simple and crude device like an electric fence :D

I would have said it's not something you can build yourself, and would be illegal in any civilised country if you tried.

Presumably you've got internet?, so you can probably buy an internet connected phone 'hotspot', which creates your own mobile phone connection via the internet.

Failing that, actual RF boosters are freely available, which usually consist of a receiver part (that you place where signals are good (upstairs window etc.), and a tranamitter part that provides the hotspot.

3g repeaters are very complex.

However you can get extenders, they are used on boats to keep people fiddling with their phones, but your talking a few quid for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back