Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

32" Sceptre LCD power supply fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pishta

we all know the weak link in a flat screen is the P/S board. I was given a task of fixing one that was taking 30 minutes to turn on. After looking at the caps on the board, I saw 3 of 17 that were swollen, so I replaced them to no effect. I ended up replacing 14 of them (from a specific re-cap kit available on Ebay, 16 bucks shipped - well worth it) and it still would not turn on. Dejected, I took the covers off and turned it on. I could hear a very faint chirping sound (like a cap charging and discharging rapidly, could it have been telling me the value of the bad cap, ie. 1uf?) and some rhythmic ticking from a large transformer. I did some further research and found that there are 2 small 1uf 50V "start up" caps that were not included in the kit as well as a 100uf50V in the same area of the power board (opposite side of all the other ones) sure enough after replacing these 3, the TV fired right up in 4 seconds, as engineered! So...if you dont see any swollen caps on one of these power boards, but you see 2 very small 5mm diameter 1uf50V caps, try and replace these .69 cent caps first. I used axial 100v 105c rated ones and they worked great. Its a good first step, and probably the 2 cheapest caps on the board!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back