32" Sceptre LCD power supply fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pishta

we all know the weak link in a flat screen is the P/S board. I was given a task of fixing one that was taking 30 minutes to turn on. After looking at the caps on the board, I saw 3 of 17 that were swollen, so I replaced them to no effect. I ended up replacing 14 of them (from a specific re-cap kit available on Ebay, 16 bucks shipped - well worth it) and it still would not turn on. Dejected, I took the covers off and turned it on. I could hear a very faint chirping sound (like a cap charging and discharging rapidly, could it have been telling me the value of the bad cap, ie. 1uf?) and some rhythmic ticking from a large transformer. I did some further research and found that there are 2 small 1uf 50V "start up" caps that were not included in the kit as well as a 100uf50V in the same area of the power board (opposite side of all the other ones) sure enough after replacing these 3, the TV fired right up in 4 seconds, as engineered! So...if you dont see any swollen caps on one of these power boards, but you see 2 very small 5mm diameter 1uf50V caps, try and replace these .69 cent caps first. I used axial 100v 105c rated ones and they worked great. Its a good first step, and probably the 2 cheapest caps on the board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…