Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

30W-15W soldering iron switchbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherbim

hi i'm fish and i got this idea from a friend of mine, a somewhat down converter for a 30W soldering iron to 15W. temperature controlled stations costs too much for me as i am only starting in this field. the original idea was to insert a diode between one of the conductors in the heating element. my friend suggested that maybe we can do a switchbox with LED indicators instead to preserve the soldering iron.

here is what we did so far...

**broken link removed**

-this is for a 220 AC voltage.
-the diode is the 1N4004
-using a DPDT on/off/on switch to bypass the diode on high position
-we tried resistors with values at 3.3K but it got fried. :eek:
-what resistor values will we use for this circuit to work?
-is it gonna work to begin with? :D
-what do you think?

i'm new to these so please bear with me a little. :)

fish

Perhaps you could try a light dimmer - I've heard that they work quite well for hot glue guns / low-power soldering irons etc.

I am by no means an expert, but I don't think you can use the diodes and resistors like this - the power dissipated would probably make them pop (fail, explode)! Perhaps try googleing "soldering iron temperature control circuit". You would probably use a TRIAC to controll the iron rather than resistors. Note that temperature controlled stations a more than just adjustable temp irons. The bits are almost always of better qualioty (than cheapie irons) and generally use 24V instead of 230V (better for sensitve electronics, apparently)

No, I don't think your suggested circuit is safe or functional. Try googling for schematics, when you understand how they work, you would have a better shot at making your own.

By introducing the diode into the circuit you effectively reduce the voltage to the iron to 1/2. That will give you a 7.5 Watt iron. You will need about 155 V at the iron to get it to 15W. An 800 Ohm/10 Watt resistor would do instead of the diode. You should also place reverse voltage blocking diodes across the LEDs. E

By introducing the diode into the circuit you effectively reduce the voltage to the iron to 1/2. That will give you a 7.5 Watt iron. You will need about 155 V at the iron to get it to 15W. An 800 Ohm/10 Watt resistor would do instead of the diode. You should also place reverse voltage blocking diodes across the LEDs. E

thank you E. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back