Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 way led backlit DC switch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zdeamon

Ok so as you see in the title here im trying to find out how or where to get a 3 way DC switch that has a built in LED to control a single light with 2 switches like you would for AC 3 way switches , I also would like it to where you see the led's when the light is switched off for night time for solar backup system.

Does anyone have any sources for such switches?? Granted i know there are double pole 2 way switches to control 2 lights with 1 switch but thats not what i need, someone said to wire in the second switch the same way the first one gets wired but then you cant turn your light off unless the other switch is off too.

Is this what you call a 3 way AC switch?

?

A 3-way light switch is just a simple Single Pole-Double Throw switch.

So any SPDT switch rated for the voltage and current of your load will do. Just search for ones that have an integrated LED. Or place a discreet LED nearby.

You cant use a AC switch with DC because AC switches will ark and burn out sadly, i know they have universal AC/DC switches but i dont fully trust them.

Automotive switches are hard to find in SPDT but there are some.
Automotive switches are hard to find with LEDs but there are some.
Automotive switches with SPDT + LED (I can not find it)
I did find a SPDT with center off with two LEDs. It will not work because of the center position.

There are switches like this but there is very little information. Where are the LED connected?

Pretty much the Led will be lit when the main bulb is off to glow at night as i have a long narrow hallway that is very dark at night.

So i have been searching youtube and found someone who has done this but his switch is a normal toggle switch with no led.

So i have been searching youtube and found someone who has done this but his switch is a normal toggle switch with no led.

My luck would probly be that they dont make 4 pin double throw switches that have an led in the switch. I mean i could throw an led light in the switch plate to indecate where the switch is located through would be hard to find the switch at night.

You could use a single throw switch to drive a SPDT relay. You should be able to easily find such a switch with an LED, And the switch only needs a current rating to drive the relay.

This is the nearest series I can find, as an all-in-one switch:

It's got a second set of contacts you can ignore.

The contacts are rated 6A at 12V DC, in the silver contact version and the LED is on separate terminals, you add an appropriate external resistor to adapt it to whatever supply voltage you need.
Data:

The only others I know could work as you describe are industrial style switches.

eg. These are all rated 12V 1A contacts and have separate terminals for the illumination, which is rated 12 - 24V. I've set the selection to only show suitable ones with alternate action (push on, push off).
**broken link removed**

Or this style, which you assemble with a separate contact block holder, lamp holder and contact blocks as needed.
The total cost ends up at between £15 to £40 per switch assembly.
**broken link removed**

An assembled switch looks like this & mounts in a 22mm hole:

Thanks, ill have to try a few of these options and see what i can come up with. I even thought of using the latching puch button leds too.

If you are wanting to control 1 light with 3 switches this is how its done in the Uk(maybe other countries too).
A double pole 6 terminal switch could be used for all 3 switches, 2 of them having 3 unused terminals, however the indicators in the switch would not mimic the lamp being controlled, you would need a double pole switch with seperate Led indicator connections for that, I've only seen such switches as industrial selector switches which are expensive.
Or you could hack those rocker switches & bring out the leads for the Led separately.

If you are wanting to control 1 light with 3 switches this is how its done in the Uk(maybe other countries too).
A double pole 6 terminal switch could be used for all 3 switches, 2 of them having 3 unused terminals, however the indicators in the switch would not mimic the lamp being controlled, you would need a double pole switch with seperate Led indicator connections for that, I've only seen such switches as industrial selector switches which are expensive.
Or you could hack those rocker switches & bring out the leads for the Led separately.

That is true i also though about that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back