Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 phase motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having found the terminal cover there is the supplier with phone number .and a stamped number inside.
Having got in touch with them sending photoes . They replied with the information

Attachments

• IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2303.PNG
    IMG_2303.PNG
    464.4 KB · Views: 103
Asea became ABB so that makes sense.
However 3kw's of motor would need in my opinion either a inverter drive or a rotary converter as described by Tcm.
Also an inverter drive would only work if the motor will run off 3 x 220/240, the data you got from ABB doesnt say this, 3kw is kinda bordeline so it could be either 220/440 or 440/660.
I had a quick look online, couldnt find anything specific about the Mbt100.

I would not have pegged it for a 4HP motor!
Also I assume the 1500 rpm is for 60Hz? It would not run at 1500rpm on 50Hz.
Max.

Yes the frame isnt big for 3kw, however we know very little about it, could be a short duty motor.
Kinda looks a bit like a hydraulic pump flange, something like a lift table would only cycle for a few seconds.

I would not have pegged it for a 4HP motor!
Also I assume the 1500 rpm is for 60Hz? It would not run at 1500rpm on 50Hz.

Typically a four pole 60 Hz induction motor runs around 1720 - 1760 RPM so 1500 is way too low for a continuous duty unit but would be right for a 50 Hz synchronous speed.

My guess is its in the 1 - 3 HP range depending on if its a 4 pole or 2 pole motor.

As for electrical power I am going to speculate its a 220/380 VAC unit.

Which I very much doubt it is that!.;)

Probably not but some time ago I picked up a rather generic looking 2 HP induction motor that surprisingly turned out to be a rather rare and small full synchronous 1800 RPM @ 60Hz unit. :cool:

I don't know what it was originally used for but going by what units of similar size and design cost it was a pretty spendy little motor when it was new compared to normal non synchronous 2 HP ones!

Up until then I had never seen a full synchronous induction motor under 50 HP that wasn't a servo or like special service non line powered application unit.

I can't quite see how a purely induction motor can be synchronous?
I did work on some 100HP motors that were ran up as a induction motor and had a rotor coil with slip rings, the slip frequency was monitored via the slip rings, when ~4-5 slip cycles were seen, DC was injected into the rotor via the same slip rings and it came up to synchronism.
At synchronism, there is no longer any induction.
Max.

I spose your both right, maybe they should be called semi synchronous.
Current for the rotor starts to flow when it slips, ie the rotor goes slower than the rotating magnetic field, the more slip the more current and the more torque, you could probably measure the load on the motor by its slip.
An induction motor's speed can be and often is control by a drive, the drive changes the frequency to change the speed, so their is some synchronicity.
I've had issues with 60hz motors running on 50hz, standard efficiency ones get hot, most likely the same principle as a transformer, core saturation.

Even as a seasoned hobbyist with some smps experience I would attempt to build an inverter.
Someone else may have some ideas.

Could you supply a circuit to change motor frequency from 50 Hz to 60 hz
It is called a VFD and you can use it on 1ph to run a 3ph motor.

An induction motor's speed can be and often is control by a drive, the drive changes the frequency to change the speed, so their is some synchronicity.
Although even with a VFD, slip has to exist for an induction motor to run.
Max.

Could you supply a circuit to change motor frequency from 50 Hz to 60 hz

Do you need the motor to run at a different speed/frequency for what job you plan to do with it?

An off the shelf VFD is most likely the only option you will have that would be within your skill set limit at this point given what limited electronics/electrical understandings you have show us so far.

I didnt type that right, meant to say I would not attempt to build an inverter, I guess you figured that.
Not so much because of the knowledge, because of the investment in time & cash, it would be way cheaper to buy one, just the parts would probably cost more than a off the shelf item.

Many go with the cheap Huanyang off ebay, a 3Kw would run around US$150.00
230vac 1ph input.
Or do a search of the Australian site for used higher end models.
Max.

Last edited:
I work in industry and usually pay £300+ for something like that, I've never used a cheapie, I would if I was paying though.

Last edited:
I work in industry and usually pay £300+ for something like that, I've never used a cheapie, I would if I was paying though.
I had a few Teco's on the machines in my home shop. They for what ever reason kept breaking down. Finally got tired of them and thought, "what the hell", I'll just get one of the Huanyang 'clones' from Ebay. I say clone because they aren't branded Huanyang. Can't be happier with them so far. Easier to program and at $99 delivered to the house, can't go wrong.

Ok I'll remember that.
I was annoyed, now surprised that a couple of our new machines came with meanwell 24v smps's, thought they'd blow up within a week, but after a year all is still well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back