Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 phase motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'll remember that.
I was annoyed, now surprised that a couple of our new machines came with meanwell 24v smps's, thought they'd blow up within a week, but after a year all is still well.

In the CNC/motion control world I only use SMPS supplies for LV control circuity etc, never for anything involved in motion control.
The linear are usually far more rugged and trouble free, IMO.
Max.

I was in Cnc for a while, worked for a couple of firms, one made milling machines for making airbus engine blades, to the best of my recollection the only Dc servo's I came across either had built in supplies off 3 phase, or were part of a backplane with a main Dc supply at one end with associated braking resistor if the application required it, C & W axes on some stuff needed them as prod insisted that they ran at super zip speed.

If working with a OEM system you are virtually committed to what they supply, I initially used Fanuc for retro fitting but reverted to Mitsubishi as they were like night and day to deal with.
But I also built some custom units using a PC based Motion card, (Galil Motion).
There you can spec in what you want to.;)
Max.

I liked the fanuc 800b, there was a heidenhain equivalent, cant remember what it was called.
Mitsubishi & omron are my favorites, siemens is way too complex.

Hmm, might have been fitted to wire cutters, the 800b can be fitted to mills, lathes etc.
Mazack tried to copy it.
Heidenhein were very high quality german jobs, nicely made.

I'm getting behind, worked with muppetts on obsolete junk for too long.

If those are standard 2" brick in the back ground that motor case is must be 20" long. That must be 10 HP by the looks of it. Strange motor never saw 1 like that with electric wire connection recessed into the side of the motor. All 3 phase motors I have seen have a box on the outside of the motor case with wires inside the box. I don't see how there can be an armature behind that election connector block the motor must be smaller than it appears.

Last edited:
I'm getting behind, worked with muppetts on obsolete junk for too long.

Same in my world. The vast majority of the things I work with seem to have went obsolete 20+ years ago and nobody told their owners. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back