3 Phase Bridge Rectifier Specification with Alternator Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks tcm. This is a continuous hd alternator not a standard car alternator albeit it is still a small not large case alt. It has a 3 pairs 50A diodes each internal bridge. As you can see I did a frequency calc above but with half the result of yours so I might have made a mistake, noting my RPM's are rotor, not engine, whereas yours might have been gas engine revs with a 2:1 pulley ratio allowed?

The run lengths contemplated between alternator and remote rectifier will either be around 3' or 6' so that does not appear to be an issue.

I haven't mentioned it here for simplicity but I do have a second 250A 16 pole large case remote regulated alt which on numbers above still has a frequency <1 KHz so I assume skin effect not an issue. For redundancy and spare parts reasons I would like to use an identical remote rectifier for both which is why I settled on a 300A bridge rectifier.

However your comment that it's 1600v rating is just wasting power concerns me. Should I be looking for say a 50v spec, if indeed such a thing is available?

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:
As you can see I did a frequency calc above but with half the result of yours so I might have made a mistake, noting my RPM's are rotor, not engine, whereas yours might have been gas engine revs with a 2:1 pulley ratio allowed?

It's at 3600 RPM alternator speed. A standard 2 pole alternating current generator puts out 60 HZ so a 12 pole at that RPM would be be 6 times that at 720 HZ.

However your comment that it's 1600v rating is just wasting power concerns me. Should I be looking for say a 50v spec, if indeed such a thing is available?

If power loss in the rectifiers is an issue you would want a Germanium type which has a low forward drop. Voltage rating is less critical other than being somewhat higher than the maximum voltage the unit can put out which with most automotive units a 50 - 100 volt Germanium diode is a common item in them.

tcm . Thank you. My comments and questions in bold are inserted with your reply, so need to expand your quote if not displayed.

My simple question for this application and in Question 1 of my original post about the 1600v spec of this rectifier bridge is this:

Should I be looking for a lessor voltage spec, say a 50v instead of 1600v, to mitigate the power loss attached to 1600v (that you indicate will occur), may or may not be of significant in terms of this application, and if significant, is such a thing commercially and readily available?

tcm thanks again for you assistance.

Cheers

It depends on the individual diodes forward drop voltages and whether or not you can live with the power losses.

Most high voltage diodes have a ~ 1 volt forward drop and being there will always be two in series in conduction at any time that ~ 2 volt drop at 100 amps is a fair amount of lost power. ~200 watts.

With low forward drop Germanium diodes with a .3 - .4 volt forward drop that's only .6 - .8 volts or ~ 60 - 80 watts loss.

If your heat sinks can handle 200 watts of thermal load and the power sources can handle the added wasted energy being lost then yes, they 1600 volt rectifiers are fine.

Mostly this just points out what happens when time is not taken to properly research and design a system. You end up wasting more money on component capacity overkill that serves no purpose while reducing the overall system efficiency for it.

Thanks tcm. I'm not that much wiser from your last post but no problem, that outcome accords with my limited expertise as revealed. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…