Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantto

Hi all!
I found this old 300bytes external modem, and i took it to get some free parts. When i opened the box i found 3 components that i dont know what they do... heres a pic of them:

**broken link removed**

On the first one there reads someting like "~Pm 230 32"
On the second "480F-X205"
And on the third "501028" wich i think is the manufacturing date... it looks like some cind of transformer...

BUT if you know what they are plz tell me!

Greets!

The third one seems like isolation transformer. No idea about 1st and 2nd.

i think the first is a diode, an old type of, or it might be small soil..try mesure its resistance.....
about the second, i dont know what it is....i also bought an old ISDN controller and it has 2 things that loog just like it, i searched the net, but couldnt find anything about it.....
the third i'm sure it is a transformer, old modems uesd thme for insulation, most like a telephone uses them, new ones have other type of separation methods and protection....
ill search the net and c what i can find.....

Telephone Line Protection

I am sure the first component is a Varistor - it will seem open-circuit until it sees some high voltage across it (maybe 100v ?) when it becomes a near short.

It will be directly across the incoming telephone lines and provides lightning protection to the equipment. These things are now built into (UK) telephone master sockets so plug-in gear no longer requires them as the socket does the protection.

The second might be a low-pass filter but could be more line protection.

The third, I agree, is a line transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back