Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.3V 3A stepper motor driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a PK266-03B stepper motor from Oriental motors and want to use it. Problem is: its 3V at a max. current of 3A. Low voltage, high current driver chips are apparently not really a thing. What can i do to still drive it?

Use a processor and four half-bridge drivers for a bi-polar motor or 4 MOSFETS for a unipolar drive

Problem is: its 3V at a max. current of 3A. Low voltage, high current driver chips are apparently not really a thing. What can i do to still drive it?
That motor will work fine if you use a proper current regulating stepper driver circuit or IC, operating from eg. 12V or 24V; that's totally normal.

The voltage rating of a stepper motor is effectively irrelevant.

Steppers have very high winding inductance and to work properly need a much higher voltage drive, with current limiting to keep the steady-state current to within the motor limits.

That is because the current in an inductor rises relatively slowly as the magnetic field builds up, and the speed is proportional to the applied voltage. If you only use the rated voltage, it will never reach full current (and torque) at anything above a crawl speed.

The high voltage causes a fast current increase, with the set limit preventing it passing a safe value.

Look at something like a TMC2209, that should be good.

There are various plug-in modules with the IC fitted as well, eg:

Steppers have very high winding inductance and to work properly need a much higher voltage drive, with current limiting to keep the steady-state current to within the motor limits.
Early stepper motor designs would use a big voltage, like 24 V, and limit the current with resistors, so as to get the motor current to change quickly and allow use at higher rotational speeds. The efficiency was terrible. For instance to run a 3 V, 3A stepper motor, something like 63 W would be dissipated in the resistors.

Modern switching designs are a far more efficient way of having a high voltage to change the current, and then reducing the voltage to limit the maximum current.

Modern switching designs are a far more efficient way of having a high voltage to change the current, and then reducing the voltage to limit the maximum current.

To clarify for the thread starter, that is how stepper motor drivers such as the TMC2209 work.

That motor will work fine if you use a proper current regulating stepper driver circuit or IC, operating from eg. 12V or 24V; that's totally normal.

The voltage rating of a stepper motor is effectively irrelevant.

That is because the current in an inductor rises relatively slowly as the magnetic field builds up, and the speed is proportional to the applied voltage. If you only use the rated voltage, it will never reach full current (and torque) at anything above a crawl speed.

The high voltage causes a fast current increase, with the set limit preventing it passing a safe value.

Look at something like a TMC2209, that should be good.

There are various plug-in modules with the IC fitted as well, eg:
yeah, i found out that the motor also works just as well with 12V. i just wouldnt operate it at lower speeds, otherwise the current would get too high. i'd just use a regular 3A current limiter circuit that will lower the motor voltage if the current goes above 3A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back