Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2N3053 Equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawblade

I was at the local electronics store trying to find a large amount of 2N3053 transistors, and they said they not being produced anymore, but they had an equivalent that was $1.40US each. Does anyone know of another common NPN transistor with the same power dissipation that it does? (at a lower cost?)

Jameco lists them for less than $0.50 each. I know this doesn't answer your question about a replacement.

...and Mouser shows 3917 pieces in stock. How large is your "large quantity"? Mouser and Jameco both offer wuantity pricing. Mouser stocks Central and Jameco stocks Boca. Jameco's pricing on this item is better, but their site doesn't show stock quantity.

**broken link removed**

2N3053 at Mouser

As to a replacement, what current and power do you need to handle? The 2N3053 is rated at 700mA and 5W(TC=25°C). The MPS222A is close on current -- 600mA, but is rated at only 1.5W(TC=25°C).

The NTE128 is a suitable replacement, but is sure to be expensive -- it is probably exactly what your local jobber stocks. :) Jameco gets $1.19 for the NTE128 and $1.29 for the NTE128P. Mouser gets $2.03 for the NTE128 and $1.40 for the NTE128P.

As long as the 2N3053 is still available, why not just stick with it? :)

The NTE128 is exactly what they had. I needed to get about 30 of them to build some digital circuits that can operate very small solinoids.

Thanks for your help! I just ordered 25 of them from Jameco.

Your question made me think about equivalents or replacements. Some folks who work with this stuff all the time have said that the application can often determine what equivalent means. I've always wondered if you can look at the limited characteristics that are published in catalogs and start there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back