Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

29v Adapter AC to recliner Chair

KHA18

Hi, I have an older recliner chair but missing the adapter for it. The input should be 240v ac and the output 29v also ac. I have problems finding these specs.

This transformer would probab;y do what you require. It is 30 volts rather than 29 but I think that woud be close enough. You could drop it to 29 by winding a few turns onto it and connecting in series (antiphase) with the secondary windings.
You would beed to mount it in an enclosure and fit a suitably rated fuse on the primary side. (A fuse on the output would also be a good idea.)

Les.

Transformers are rated by voltage ratio and V*A product with a typical tolerance that is 10% higher voltage with no load. So you may be looking for >= 60 VA approx . 240, 29Vac with a 10% tolerance on voltage,

Les has a good choice

100VA Torroidal Transformer, 2x 15V -​

230 to 30V

MCTA100/15​

View attachment 141075

I don't know if your input is 240V max or nominal or 230V nominal

I don't know if your input is 240V max or nominal or 230V nominal

It doesn't really matter - they are functionally the same, as that's the whole point of the 230V specification (in Europe).

In any case, it's only a crude transformer - the rating of 29V is ludicrous - and would vary considerably depending on load. As has been said, a standard 30V (or 15-0-15) transformer would be perfectly fine.

I know UK used to be 240 V but there may be other countries around the world still using 240Vac

In any case 230 is only 4.1% less than 240 and 33 is 13.7% greater than 29V. But none of this application sounds critical for tolerance.,

I know UK used to be 240 V but there may be other countries around the world still using 240Vac

The UK is still 240V, and 'most' of Europe is still 220V, the 230V rating is an equipment specification so it works on either 220V or 240V. Apparently a few countries in Europe have actually switched to 230V - but not many, as there's not really any point.

The difference is only tolerances - the UK 230V tolerance covers normal 240V mains, and the European 230V tolerance covers their 220V. The equipment tolerances though require them to work in any of the countries - in the past European equipment commonly failed in the UK if the transformers weren't rated high enough.

In any case 230 is only 4.1% less than 240 and 33 is 13.7% greater than 29V. But none of this application sounds critical for tolerance.,

Like I said, in this simple case it doesn't matter :D

Are you certain the output is AC? My power recliner uses a 29VDC power supply. A quick survey on Amazon shows all the replacement power supplies I could find are 29VDC output.

Herre is the specs from the chair

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 115
That is very unusual.

Based on the picture, at 210W output, and 28V AC, that means you need at least a 7.5A replacement power supply at 28V.
Are you sure it is the power supply and not the motor itself?

Still the point, the picture shows 220W input, 210W output. It might be the motor controller then. He originally stated 1.5-2A required, which would not match what the picture shows, it needs up to 7.5A input at 28V. That would be the "adapter" he would need then.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back