Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

25pin DSub cable tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

avis1777

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a simple cable tester for 25 pin DSub cables. Can anyonr Please advise me on what i need and a diagram of how to configure the tester? Thank you

most grateful
avis1777

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a simple cable tester for 25 pin DSub cables. Can anyonr Please advise me on what i need and a diagram of how to configure the tester? Thank you

most grateful
avis1777

hi,
Is that a test for continuity only.?

Hi ericgibbs,

Yes only for continuity. Thanks again

I expect you want some indication when/which conductor is open circuit.?

Will it be acceptable to stop and indicate as each 'fault' is discovered.? or do you want to record all the faults in the cable and indicate all failures at the end of the test [ which will be more difficult to realise].

Test volts say 5Vdc at 10mA OK.???

Hi,

I just need to check which line from the the 25 core cable is broken... As so a simple continuity check with perhaps leds to show the faults.

Thanks

Hi,

I just need to check which line from the the 25 core cable is broken... As so a simple continuity check with perhaps leds to show the faults.

Thanks

hi avis,
What if more than one wire is open circiuit, thats why I asked the above questions.:)

Ok sorry, it will be great if can stop as each fault is discovered..

Thanks

OK. thats a simple way to do it.

Couple more questions,
how many cables are you testing.?
Will a continuity test at 5Vdc at 10mA be acceptable,? are you testing to a Standard or just a quick in house test.?

Hi,

25 core straight cable, 5vdc at 10mA will be great. its only for in house testing, reason being we get loads of faulty cable after use and it has always been very difficult testing each core with a meter.........:eek:

Thanl alot

Hi,

25 core straight cable, 5vdc at 10mA will be great. its only for in house testing, reason being we get loads of faulty cable after use and it has always been very difficult testing each core with a meter.........:eek:

Thanl alot

OK.?
Ill try to post a circuit by tomorrow.

Whats you location, so that we can suggest suppliers of components.

EDIT:
Are you able to source these components.?
HEF4520, HEF4067 , 74LS154 and HEF4093, 2 of each required

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back