Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24V intermittent fault detection circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

2PAC Mafia

Hi guys,

there is a boat with a system powered by 24Vdc, after around 30h is failing as it looses power for a moment, this is what I was told by my customer, I didn´t see the behavieur. They asked me to monitor 24V line to see if for some moment we loose voltage or it´s going down more than 18V in example.

I remember years ago I did something with a DC motor integrated on a circuit which sometimes was activating a relay or an output occasionally, I don´t remember very well but doing a mark at the motor I remember I discovered the output was switched on for a moment.

Do you know some simple circuit for monitoring the 24V with a tolerance up and down, that if voltage fails for a moment some signal remains active. Some kind of comparator, may be I can take 220Vac or 24Vdc from general power line to power the circuit and then monitor the 24Vdc from the system with some circuit.

Ideas?

Hello 2Pac_ I was thinking maybe an arduino with a data-logger scanning at 1 second intervals and storing 1 minute averages. I bet some of the microcontroller folks can come up with something. It may not give an alert but you could look at stored data and maybe detect a trend or cause.

Thanks. Rfranzk.

What about something off the shelf

https://www.madgetech.com/data-logg...troubleshooting-and-diagnostics/volt101a.html

**broken link removed**

Just 2 examples...

If it's a customer that needs a fast resolution then maybe this is your best bet.

Designing a PIC with a ADC wouldn't take much effort, but by the time you create the box, understand how you going to power it and validate the software a simple off the shelf device maybe the best option.

Jason.

Thanks guys,

yes, the boat is a passing boat so not so much time. Sorry, I didn´t tell you that.

Second option is much better now, I´m going to check for these data loggers. Thanks.

Cheap multimeters can be had off ebay that have data logging.
I bet you allready have one that does max and min, this will only work if the meter doesnt have auto power off, or you can disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back