Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

240 DC volt motor control

Status
Not open for further replies.

supateach

Hi
I have recently been given a small lathe which does not work, I am assuming the circuit board is faulty. I need a circuit diagram of a rectifier circuit and a PWM? circuit to control the speed of the 240DCvolt motor. I have some electronics Knowledge as I teach it to GCSE. Any advice and information gratefully recieved
Thanks
Tony

Use a bridge rectifier to power the motor from the mains and a standard lamp dimmer on the AC side of the bridge.

If you want to reverse the motor, you can use a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity to the motor.

Obviously, the motor's metal frame needs to be connected to earth, along with any other exposed metal surfaces which cover live wires.

The other option is to use a variac transformer instead of the dimmer before the rectifier. You will get better torque and a more consistent speed regulation.

It's simply a variable transformer, the primary is 230V and the secondary is 0 to 230V, but often a bit more than 230V.
Autotransformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The disadvantage is, it will be more bulky and expensive than a lamp dimmer.

You need to know the current/power rating of of the motor so you can select an appropriately rated, rectifier and dimer or variable transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back