Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220/230V Light Dimmer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsac23

Hello everyone.

Im posting this because i need the electric circuit for a light dimmer to control 360W max in a 220/230V AC circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Search around for a triac light dimmer circuit. They are all over the internet and it should be straightforward to build one. In addition, you could use a microcontroller and optocoupler such as moc3010 if you want to digitally control it.

Thanks. I've found some that suits me.

Can you tell me how can i modify it to digitally control it using what you sugested?

Thanks in advance.

dsac23 said:
Can you tell me how can i modify it to digitally control it using what you sugested?

It is rather simple, in fact, you could get away without even using a micro though I think that is the easiest. When the triac's gate is activated, the triac will allow current to flow until the current gets below a certain "holding current". In AC lights, that happens 100/120 times per second. So the idea is that if you want it 50% bright, you trigger the triac once half of the sinusoid has elapsed. So you need to have your micro know the phase of the AC signal and use that as one of the micro inputs. You know the frequency/period, so you can compute when to gate the triac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back