Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 minute countdown timer using 74190N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Min/Max counter?? Are you talking about fixed counters ie.. decimal counters?

The RCO is a ripple counter ( obviously ) with a carry out function... The decimal counter resets under certain conditions...

Min/Max counter?? Are you talking about fixed counters ie.. decimal counters?

The RCO is a ripple counter ( obviously ) with a carry out function... The decimal counter resets under certain conditions...

Sir I am pertaining about the two cascading functions here. the 74190N has the RCO and the Max/Min for clocking.

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 357
The 74190 is a decade counter.... The Max/Min output serves a a flag to signal that the minimum or maximum count has been reached...

This is from the datasheet.
The maximum/ minimum output can be used to accomplish look-ahead for high speed operation

hi Mark,
Is there any reason the 2 Minute down counter would not be acceptable by using a 120 Second down counter, which is very simple to build.?

Is this a school assignment.?

E

hi Mark,
Is there any reason the 2 Minute down counter would not be acceptable by using a 120 Second down counter, which is very simple to build.?

Is this a school assignment.?

E

Sir Eric yes this is our school assignment.... hmm actually yes! I could consider making it a 120 second timer. However, I wish to make it a chess timer actually.

two 120 seconds are displayed.

120 120

there is a button for each side. When the button is pressed lets say the right button, the left timer will countdown. Vice versa for the other one. Do you think that is simple?

The 74190 is a decade counter.... The Max/Min output serves a a flag to signal that the minimum or maximum count has been reached...

This is from the datasheet.

alright So how Can I set the IC max/in terminal to recognized that either the max or minimum value was reached?

alright So how Can I set the IC max/in terminal to recognized that either the max or minimum value was reached?
hi Mark,
I showed the change from RCO to Min/Max on that rough drawing I posted.

there is a button for each side. When the button is pressed lets say the right button, the left timer will countdown. Vice versa for the other one. Do you think that is simple?

Do you mean the same IC counter drives two LED displays, as selected by a push button.?
It would be easier and cheaper to build two complete counters in the same box, trying to switch the LED pins would be a task!
E

Sir Eric! I already figured it out with the aid of my colleague :) Its now capable of counting from 2:00 - 0:00.
here the schem

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 373
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back