Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4V DC to 6.0V DC Converter - R1210N?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gixer

I am working on a hand-held device prototype that runs off 6v DC. I would like to use 2 AA batteries to supply power (2.4 volts - NiMH). I found the R1210N Converter Controller - Ricoh Company claims that this controller will function as a step-up converter with an inductor, a diode, a capacitor, and a transistor as external components. My desired step up is within the operating boundaries of the controller.

I assume that once I purchase an R1210N controller, I will need to purchase the external components and connect them to the chip on a PC board. I could not find any drawings on how these components are connected.

Has anyone used a DC-DC converter in a similar fashion in the past? Do you have any tips or advice for me? :?

The other day I was looking for info on a switching regulator and found my way on to the National Semiconductor website. There is quite the design center. I played with it a little bit and for your situation you would select the kind of regulator, input design parameters and it would give you a list of devices. Select the device and it will give you the parts you need (based on common schematics) right down to the manufacturer and part number of the inductor. As an amateur and hobbyist I was impressed.

http://www.national.com/appinfo/webench/power/SS/SS.cgi?flow=power&step='1A' is a place to start

I see lots of requests for DC to DC convertors here - both up and down. The design center addresses them nicely. The ICs all appear to be modestly priced. While not "build from scrap parts" solutions they appear to be modest cost and effective.

While not exactly the answer I thought this would help. You'll have to register as a user but there weren't any restrictions so it would seem that anyone would be able to use the design center.

Hi Gixer,

Wouldn't it be easier to have the supply at 6 volts ?
You may have a reason, but you don't say.
Little 6v Ni-Cads are easy to find.

John

National Semiconductor

Thanks, Stevez. I ordered an LM2621MM that fits the design criteria. I am still a bit confused, though. I will visit the web site again to see what else is necessary. They described the part as though it was a complete converter...no additional parts needed...??? :roll:

Yes, John1, I currently have the device working fine on 6v. However, I want to minimize the size and weight of this device. It will make it more usable. How "little" is the 6v Ni-Cad you are referring to? I would like to have at least 1850 mAh at 2.4 volts (Equivalent to 740 mAh at 6v).

I began what I thought was a simple project (with no electronics involved). This is all new to me. I thought I was in the clear after making a pulse generator. But, one more hurdle left. 8)

I appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back