Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1wire temperature sensor - working conditions 0-200 degrees C

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTF

Is there any cheap 1wire temperature senzor, like DS18B20 which can measure temperature up to 200 degrees C

Most semiconductors have a temperature limit around 175 °C, so I don't think that such a temperature sensor like you want exists.

I think that the closest is the MAX31850 which will read a thermocouple and convert to a 1-wire signal. The IC itself has to be below 125 °C and the accuracy is better if the IC is cooler.

I was wrong about such a temperature sensor not existing, but that is a seriously expensive temperature sensor IC.

The fact that TI charge that sort of money is a good indication that there isn't any competition, which shows that it's a difficult thing to make.

Ive used a sensor recently for that kind of purpose, its a Pt100 sensor, it has a seperate amplifier board, it was 10 ukp for both.
I thibk theres also a i2c version of the amplifier board for similar price.
I'm not aware of anything self contained for that kind of temp.

Ive used a sensor recently for that kind of purpose, its a Pt100 sensor, it has a seperate amplifier board, it was 10 ukp for both.
I thibk theres also a i2c version of the amplifier board for similar price.
I'm not aware of anything self contained for that kind of temp.
Can you post a link to amplifier board?

Maybe there's a market for a matched thermistor and interface (with correction table) chip (kept in the cool bit). Could be lucrative if this is a viable market.

Mike.

Nice module, thanks for the link. It's just a pity can't go below 30, while the pt100 probe in the documentation can reach -20.

In industry Pt100's and k type thermocouples are common, they can be used to -20 or sometimes lower, however the accuracy drops off below 30.
If you want something that can measure accurately from -20 up to 200 then maybe you'll have to spend more.

DTF, i think guys are trying to provide you an alternative. Btw, you can put a simple PIC or whatever simple micro with ADC in the middle, and send bitbanged 1-wire data out.

You mean 1 wire protocol, as per dallas?
In that case I'm not aware of anything.
Spectrum's idea seems sound, you might even get it to work with parasite power.

Yes, I mean 1 wire protocol, as per dallas. So I want to connect 25 temperature sensors which should be able to measure temperatures up to 200 celsius with as little wires as possible, ideally only 3 wires. The other obstacle is my not so great knowledge about protocols, so it would be ideally some sensor like ds18b20 since I know how to connect them to Arduino and display temperatures. And this is the only protocol for which I know how to display temperature with Arduino.

Last edited:
I dont know of any devices thst will do thts.
I might be thinking os something else, however I think there is a example for the arduino that emulates a one wire sensor, might not e so hard to adapt this to what you need, possibly adapt a emulator program with a sensor demo program.
Edit: heres one I found on github:

Reactions: DTF
If I understand it wright, I would only need one microcontroler 3 wires and 25 thermocouples. But in the implemented devices there are only digital thermometers. Can you please elaborate which microcontroller, and which 25 termocouples (probably all, because they are all passive) should work with that code on github. Actually, would I need one or would I need as many microcontrollers as a thermocouples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back