Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1W RGB LED drive from Wifi controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to upgrade an old uplighter with some high power RGBWW LED's. I'm thinking 1w individual LED's for each colour. I would like to control the LED's with a Zigbee based driver, which is designed to drive 12v RGB LED strips. I'm pretty sure the strips are common 12v so they sink on the negative if that makes sense - but I'll check this.

I'm a bit confused as to the best approach, is there a simple way of doing it? Cheers!

This is the controller https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001629650377.html
These are the strips its currently running https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004590329675.html

The thing is I want it to be able to connect them to the Phillips Hue eco system and the controller I've linked seems to do the job nicely, but I'm a bit stuck on how to use anything other than 12v strips.

Three (four?) series chains of LEDs each made with a total forward voltage drop appropriately under 12V, and each with a power resistor to set the chain current with a 12V supply, to give a reasonable intensity balance between the colours.

Different colour and power LEDs have different forward voltages, so you may have to juggle things a bit.

As long as the chain currents are well within the controller capability, they should just connect in place of the original LED strip.

If the current per chain is low enough, you could duplicate them, connected in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back