Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18F4620 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwickham

hey everyone, i just got my pickit2.

Im just trying to get an led flashing to test it out, but i cant seem to make it work.

Code:
#if defined(__PCH__)
#include <18F4620.h>
#fuses INTRC_IO,NOWDT,NOPROTECT,PBADEN = OFF,LVP = OFF, NOBROWNOUT
#use delay(clock=8000000)
#endif

#define ALL_OUT 0x00

void main(void)
	{
	 setup_oscillator( OSC_8MHZ );
        delay_ms(1500);
        SET_TRIS_A(ALL_OUT);

while(1)
			{
			OUTPUT_HIGH(PIN_A0);
			delay_ms(1000);
			OUTPUT_LOW(PIN_A0);
			delay_ms(1000);
			}
	}

for wiring i put both vdd pins to 5v, and both vss to ground, and from RA0 i have a resistor and LED.

It programs properly, but my LED does not flash?

Is my internal clock set up properly?

thanks
craig

Last edited:
You can use the # icon to place
Code:
tags around you code and it will preserve the formating. A lot of new people are not using it, please do.

Like this.
Code:
//-------------------------------------------------------------
#if defined(__PCH__)
#include <18F4620.h>
#fuses INTRC_IO,NOWDT,NOPROTECT,PBADEN = OFF,LVP = OFF, NOBROWNOUT
#use delay(clock=8000000)
#endif

#define ALL_OUT 0x00

void main(void)
{
  setup_oscillator( OSC_8MHZ );
  delay_ms(1500);
  SET_TRIS_A(ALL_OUT);

while(1)
  {
    OUTPUT_HIGH(PIN_A0);
    delay_ms(1000);
    OUTPUT_LOW(PIN_A0);
    delay_ms(1000);
  }
}

//-------------------------------------------------------------

You have a PICkit2. You can use it as an in circuit debugger and figure out if the code is executing. Step, breakpoints, all that debugger stuff :)

I see you are using the CCS compiler. Their IDE may not be able to use the PICkit2 to debug. If so ditch it and use MPLAB. You can still use the CCS compiler but you may have to run a small program that integrates the compiler with MPLAB.

You will find progaming is much easier with ICD'ing.

I do not have the CCS manual in front of me but the OSC stuff looks about right.

Get you self up and runing in the debugger. Go from there. Make sure the LED is not in backwards :) 3v0

You need to configure PORTA for digital inputs by writing 0x0F to ADCON1. You also need to turn off the analog comparators by writing 0x07 to CMCON.

Last edited:
thanks, i got set those values, and everything seemed to work in debug mode, but when i moved it to another board to test, it stopped working, well worked half the time. it was all because i forgot to tie MCLR high. Wat a newb i am.

thanks again for the help
craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back