Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

180 v dc variable output required from 24 v dc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rohith, you still have not answered crutschow's question. Can your 24VDC source supply 20A (~500W)? If not, then you will not be able to meet the requirements you provided. You cannot get more power out than in. Since your output requires a maximum 180V at 2.6A, that equates to P=I*V = 2.6A*180V = 468 watts. You need to account for losses in the converter, so around 500W is your required power output. This means that your 24V supply will need to be able to source I=P/V = 500W/24V = 20.83A. You cannot create power, so if you can't provide this 20A for your 24 volt supply, you can't meet the 500W requirement, which means you will not meet the output voltage or current requirements. If your 24V supply can only source 2A, for example, you can only provide 48W, which means you can supply 180V at ~270mA or you can supply 2.6A at 18 volts.

So, what are the specifications for your 24 volt DC supply?

Permanent magnet, OK. One less worry (the field excitation).

But the very high inrush currents are still an issue. The motor should be started at maximum rated current (to provide maximum starting torque) and the voltage will increase naturally as the motor gains RPM.

EDIT: for a converter designed and built by a novice, I would say that a realistic efficiency will be no more than 75%....So one must calculate a power input around 600 watt.

14829768859391430594409.jpg

This way am planing to connect my batteries and motors
What rating of battery is suitable
And better way to control these motors each of capacity 180v dc, o.5 HP

You have now changed your requirements from the original post. You now have two motors when you said there was only one so you noe need twice the power which will be twice the current.

Les.

Batteries are capable for 500 w, 20 A
What is the real specification of the batteries?
If you mean that they are 20 AmpHour batteries, then they won't deliver 20 amps for very long. And the Voltage will likely drop below 12V within the first few minutes, which means that the current drawn from the batteries will increase.

View attachment 103302
This way am planing to connect my batteries and motors
What rating of battery is suitable
And better way to control these motors each of capacity 180v dc, o.5 HP
It's nearly impossible to tell you how to control the motors, unless we know what you want the motors to do.
Also:
- How much electrical power is drawn from the batteries while the motors are doing their job?
- How long do the batteries need to last?
- How quickly do the batteries need to recharge?
- What power is available for recharging?

1 HP = 746 watts but to alow for losses I think the calculations should be based on 1KW 1KW at 24 volts is 42 amps so theoretically you need a 21 AH battery. The AH rating of most batteries is based on discharging them over about 10 hours. The AH rating is very much reduced when they are discharged over such a short period of time so you would have to look carfully at the battery specifications or contact the manufacturer to suggest a suitable battery to support this high discharge rate.

Les.

Let's set aside the question of battery for the moment and concentrate on the DC to DC converter specification. And, rather than rely on scattered posts, please compile a single specification for what you need. Let me start with what I know. Please edit and add whatever you need to.

Input: 24VDC
Output: 0 - 180 VDC @ 2.6 Amps
Control method: microcontroller

You said that there were two motors. Does that mean two, 2.6 Amp controllers, or a single 5.2 Amp controller?

In your original post, you also secified no transformer. While not impossible, doing this without a transformer will increase the complexity of the converter. What is your reason for no transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back