Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16x2 LCD, playing with numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylobeetle

Hello everyone again! nice to be here with you, I have a question I would like to know, I have used and found this piece of code for displaying numbers in the
LCD taking care of not get the actual ASCII value instead of the wanted number .

Code:
        ch1 = (number/1000)%10;
        ch2 = (number/100)%10;
        ch3 = (number/10)%10;
        ch4 = (number/1)%10;

Lcd_Set_Cursor(2,1);
        Lcd_Print_String("Inside Main Loop");
        Lcd_Set_Cursor(1,1);
        Lcd_Print_String("Number: ");
        Lcd_Print_Char(ch1+'0');
        Lcd_Print_Char(ch2+'0');
        Lcd_Print_Char(ch3+'0');
        Lcd_Print_Char(ch4+'0');

This works, what im looking for its to know the meaning of this, what I have found is that its a common practice to add null value or 48 (which is the same) at the end of the "number" i want to display because if i dont do it, I would only get its ASCII value instead.. But about the "(number/1000)%10 ? What does that % there? its like the base im working with ? (base 10) ?

I just tried to analyze it by myself, but im not sure about my findings haha . thanks in advance!

Take a large number:

1234 /1000 = 1... (Modulus not needed on first... If the number is five figures it will help)
1234 / 100 = 12... Modulus 10 = 2 ...
1234 /10 = 123... Modulus 10 = 3...

In this example the divide isn't necessary .. But some compliers struggle with modulus on a larger number.
Some times I divide by 1000 and then I remove the thousands.

This works, what im looking for its to know the meaning of this, what I have found is that its a common practice to add null value or 48 (which is the same) at the end of the "number"

You're not adding a 'null' value, you're adding the ASCII value of '0' which is 48 DEC - although personally I usually add 0x30, the same value in HEX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back