Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

16f84=16f84a?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess there is some difference between them because the PICSTART PLUS Device list in MPLAB IDE seperately lists both these devices.

microchip claim the 16F84A to be a drop in replacement, if u read the datasheet for teh 84A there is actually a list of differnces, it can run twice as fast, and there are some almost bug fixes.

Most code can just be whacked onto an 84A with no difficulty at all.

<RANT>
on a side note, anyone care to tell me y people like the 84A so much?! i just don't see y, for most projects it has either too many or too few pins, no internal osc etc.

i think the 12F629 should be used more 5 gpio pins, + 1 only input.
most things i find thats all i need, its cheap int osc. dac version available.
</RANT>

my problem is that i cant program my pic when i built those schematics for 16f84 but then i realised i got 16f84a because i didnt know the difference then i was newbie.so is the problem that i cannot program my chip is because i didn t make it for 16f84a or doesnt it matter so much!

Ok after a quick glancing over the datasheet, i can't see any physical differnces however MicroChip warn that there might be software issues when programming, see:
https://www.microchip.com/download/lit/migrat/30072b.pdf

if your building your programmer on the cheap, try building one for a 16f870 family, these can be low-voltage programmed. Meaning hook upto parport with a couple of resistors and your away!

the serial programming thru rb6 and rb7 doesnt matter at all, programming for 16c84 or 16f84 or 16f84a is the same for all....tried it many times, always works

i still dont understand why they added this low voltage programming thing for....

the serial programming is just too perfect for me

Try using a fast PC for programming the PIC16F84A. I could not Flash it with my 333MHZ laptop, but works everytime w/ 2.0 & 1.7 GHZ PC's.

Then there's something wrong with your 333 or you're using crappy programming software.
I programmed many pic's using my old 486 sx

seanw said:
Try using a fast PC for programming the PIC16F84A. I could not Flash it with my 333MHZ laptop, but works everytime w/ 2.0 & 1.7 GHZ PC's.

If you are using a programmer that doesn't have its own 13V supply then the voltage provided by your laptop RS232 probably isn't high enough.
Mark K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back