Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12volt to 240 inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chezza

G'day,
we have a 240v TV in our caravan, also a satelite dish and 240v set top box. We want to be able to run them on 12 volt battery power,(for a short time at least) what size inverter do we need to run them (at the same time).
I am not into electrics at all so I hope someone can help. I have seen 3 different sizes at the shop,what size is best please.

You need to decide the power consumption of each item, but a 500W or 1000W should be more than enough.

You do need to be VERY aware of the poor wiring practices in caravans - in my experience it's quite common that the wiring is far too thin and far too long, and often won't power a 12V TV due to the excessive voltage drop across the cable.

You will have to have thick leads connected directly to the battery and put the inverter as close to the battery as possible. The output of the inverter can then have long leads to the appliances. Don't use the caravan 12v wiring AT ALL.

Thanks for that, now, to work out what my appliances use. Also, is it possible to "overkill" on the size of the inverter, (get a 1000w when I only need a 500w) and if so would that damage my appliances, or does it just work away no problems, and have the rest of the power for maybe another appliance at a later date. (if you know what I mean) :( ? thanks again Chezza

150 watt inverters are only about $60.00
This will be sufficient for a small TV and set-top box.

You should be more worried about getting too small of an Inverter rather than to large, I'd price a few unit of various sizes and work out the price/watt ratio and by the one that had the cheapest per watt price. You could buy cheaper than this but you're getting less device for your money, and you could buy more, but only if you really need the extra power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back