Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12vdc to 6000vdc @ 250w converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekna

What is the most efficient way to convert 12vdc from a battery into 6000vdc at 250 watts?

Transformer? Cockcroft-Walton voltage multiplier? Other?

At the moment I am using DC-DC converters but they only go up to 10w

Any advice on a circuit I could build to do this?

I am using this to charge a capacitor bank that is rapidly discharged for a tesla coil project

Thanks in advance!!

A fly-back transformer out of one of the old large screen TVs may be able to do it directly with a independent primary coil and the proper feed back system.

Other wise an inverter unit driving a 5000 VAC neon sign transformer with a set of HV diodes would work but most of the 5 KV units only put out about 30 Ma at 5 KV so you may need two of them. Unless you can find a 60 Ma rated unit that is used for those fat neon tubes.

Given the efficency of eaither system expect that you may need around 400+ watts of power source at 12 volts.

You might consider using the power supply from an inverter powered microwave oven. They produce as much as 1400 watts at about 4000 Vdc. Although they rectify the line voltage to create the DC input to the primary of what amounts to a TV fly-back transformer on steroids, it's the current through the primary that matters. Some modification would be in order, including adding another diode and capacitor to change the voltage doubler to a tripler to get 6000V Vdc. The inverters are pretty efficient. The magnetrons are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back