Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2c

Hello, I am looking for a recommended reliable design of a 12V lead acid based ups.
The purpose is to power a couple of arduino boards, and a 12V router modem so as to have an uninterruptable arduinos - Internet connection.
The total current is estimated to 2.5A. The battery would be a ~10Ah one
I was thinking of a ~ 2.5 - 3A current injector based on a 15V linear regulator powered by a 18V laptop power supply. The current would flow untill Vbat ~ 13.5V.
Thanks for your help

I'd just use a basic 12V "smart" battery charger with a rating around 5A or so.

A smart charger should adjust the current according to the battery state of charge, so can be connected indefinitely.
eg.

I'd just use a basic 12V "smart" battery charger with a rating around 5A or so.

A smart charger should adjust the current according to the battery state of charge, so can be connected indefinitely.
eg.
Just received the one i bought and am awaiting for a 8v-20v to 12v5A stabilizer (pic attached) -1708453094-1091577846.jpg so that my 12v stays 12v whatever the battery fluctuations. My concern is that the charger is said to operate (also} in 'pulse mode' ans so i may to low pass a the battery to stabilizer path, what do you think?

I'd just try it as it is and see if everything works OK - I'd expect it to.
The battery itself should provide enough stability to keep the output in range.

• Love
Reactions: g2c
Just started testing with the bought parts:
1) "smart" charger named anhtczyx
2) DC/DC converter with 8V-20V -> 12V 5A named fulree
3) 12V to 9V unnamed 9V is the power to arduino through the barrel connector. Another one, 12 to 7.5V is underway

when connecting par 2 and 3 in series we do get perfect 9V output with a very large input voltage window. This is perfect

Part 1) however is disappointing:
- With no AC it draws 67mA from the battery which is unreasonably high
- The fan is noisy and it runs, randomly, even with the battery full. Who needs it? Chances that it wont last long (!)
- the notice says that it is recommended to disconnect once the battery is full and also that for 4-15AH batteries it is recommended to use 'repair' mode

Comments are most welcome

@rjenkinsgb

Finally I did find a "maintenance" smart charger which is quiet (no fan) and appear to be more suitable for my battery.
Big thanks for having suggested this solution which makes most of my project
:)

Attachments

• motopower.jpg
    motopower.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back