Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V to -5V/0/5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamboard

Hi all,

I'm working on a MIDI synth project and have questions regarding its power supply. I want to power it from one of those 12V DC/350mA bricks I have around. I need to generate roughly +5V, 150 mA (for a microcontroller, a backlit LCD display and a bunch of LEDs / logic circuits, and the audio circuitry), 50 mA for the -5V rail (audio circuitry only). What I use so far is a resistor divider and an ersatz of high-current op-amp using an op-amp for the feedback + a push-pull: **broken link removed** . I am bit worried that this might not be the best option, because one of the transistors tends to generate a lot of heat. And this takes a lot of PCB real estate.

I have found many virtual grounds circuits online, but most of them seem to be for headphone amps where the load on the -/+ rails is equal -- so I am not sure if they would perform well with an uneven load. I'm tempted to try the TLE2426 + BUF634 + anonymous op-amp for the feedback loop, but this is a more expensive solution...

Any other approach to this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back