Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v Sound to Light (LED) Chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

piersuk

Can anyone help a novice with my van project?

I'm looking at making a 12v Sound to Light device which, with an onboard microphone detecting sound and delivering a signal to one of 4 channels. Each channel will need to drive a total and upto 20 smd LED's.

I have the ability to program PIC's if that is the way forward.

Thanks

Piers

Last edited:
Hi Piers & Welcome to the Forums.

A good satrt might be a Google of "color organ" which will yield countless circuits for splitting (filtering) the audio into channels. That done you can move along to driving the LEDs. If you take the PIC route then I would post further in the micro-Controller sections of the forums. Pretty much your call as to PIC or a handful of discrete components. Enjoy the forums and I think you will find a very, very good knowledge base here. :)

Ron

A "chaser" sequences groups of lights. Your 4 channels will be 4 groups of lights.

With a microphone input then the next group of lights will blink when a dog barks, a motorcycle drives past or any loud noise occurs.
Is that what you want?

i agree with Ron a "color organ" is a good way to go, but if you insist on doing it on your own, I would consider the use of an RC setup to filter out the components of the audio (base, treble, etc) and feed the output to an ADC. From there you should be able to use a PIC to read the data and get it to output something on an LCD screen.

don't know if this will work though:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back