Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v fan relay and timer diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

horspiste

Hi, i'm manager of a shelter in a provincial park and i wish to put the restrooms blower on a timer i have te material now i need the knowledge...

I need help to hook up

12v blower
OMRON TIMER H3CR-A +base
OMRON G2R-1-S relay+base
12volt battery pack

in attach here are my parts if somebody could point me out how too hook up together all this it would help me a lot

thank you

denis

Attachments

• Timer_relaya.gif
    Timer_relaya.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,537
I assume you have no AC power which is the reason for the battery. The system will likely only run a day or two before the battery is discharged. Do you have a way to charge the battery every day (solar panel for example)?

I'm don't know which specific timer model you have (H3CR-A is the basic part number which includes many different sub-types). If it has contacts, you don't need the external relay. Connect the the positive fan wire to pin 1 on the timer and the negative fan wire to the battery negative terminal. Connect pin 3 of the timer to the battery positive terminal. If you post the complete timer part number I can be more specific.

Connect pin 7 of the timer to the plus voltage. Connect pin 2 of the timer to the negative voltage. These power the timer.

I hope you bought **broken link removed**, that runs on 12Vdc. Since the timer has its own relay, you do not need an outboard relay. The omron timer draws more power than the fan, so a custom design using a 555 timer ic would give you much longer battery life. You likely also need a solar panel/solar charger regulator so that you do not have to take the battery home every night...

Thank you...

answering your question:

yes i'm hooked up on solar panel+generator to recharge my batteries.

yes i bought the 12v H3CR-A model as shown in the link in your post.

the salesman at the electronic shop sold me the relay telling me that my blower (12 v 9 amp) was to high amp to operate timer without relay. what are your opinions

again big thanks

Denis

Denis,

the Sunon fan shown in you post will draw less than 1A (10W@12V). The OMRON spec sheet shows that the built-in relay will switch 5A @250Vac, so it will switch your 1A Fan directly, no extra relay required.

This timer draws 0.2W just sitting there even when the fan is not running. This timer is way overkill for your application. You could do the job with $5 worth of parts between the battery and the fan.

Last edited:
ok sorry i'ts my fault it was not well explained..i'm a frenchy so maybe that is why...

the sun on fan picture was used only to replace the picture of the actual blower (unavailable). its a 12v 9 amp blower that operates on a 10X 6volts 200 ah battery bank. so that is why i think i have to put the relay somewhere...i'll wait for your suggestions

the objective of that timer was to turn on the fan 1 our than off one hour and again.

If the fan draws 9A, then yes, the relay is required. Are you asking us to provide a wiring diagram? If so, I will work on this later today....

If the fan is 9A then your 200AH battery will run it for 11 hours at most. Will you be taking them somewhere each day to be recharged?

Denis,

what starts the timer? Are you using an external momentary push button?

Is this the mode you want?
Timerq.png
A momentary push of the external START button begins the timing cycle, during which the fan runs?

Hi Mike

the way it is installed right now the fan is turn on with a regular light switch like the one in the houses. can this be the trigger or do i have to buy a start button?

thanks

Hi Mike

the way it is installed right now the fan is turn on with a regular light switch like the one in the houses. can this be the trigger or do i have to buy a start button?

thanks

Ok, so I assume that the light is powered off the same battery as the fart fan? Do you want to put the light on the timer, so that the light doesn't run the battery dead if the light is left on? Would you be willing to replace the light switch with a momentary push-button switch which starts both the light and the fan?

If you want the light to be on/off with the manual two-position switch, do you want the fan to start when the light is turned on, or when it is turned off?

Hi Mike.

No there is no light associated with the fan. Only battery+ regular on/off light switch type, and blower

Hi Mike.

No there is no light associated with the fan. Only battery+ regular on/off light switch type, and blower

Ok, sorry for all the questions. A momentary push-button is what the Timer expects. By adding some circuitry (resistor, capacitor) we could use a toggle switch, however a toggle switch would have to be turned off, and then turned back on to trigger a new cycle for the fan.

I have an idea! Some folks will try to turn off the fan by flipping off a toggle switch as they leave the room, just like turning off the lights. Would you want the fan to turn off instantly if someone did that? i.e. only use the timer for the lazy bastards who would otherwise leave the switch on?

That still leaves the problem that the next person to visit the room finds the toggle switch already in the ON postion, and doesn't know that turning the switch OFF momentarily, and then back ON would trigger an new fan cycle. This is a human factors issue; most of the public are idiots... For this reason, a momentary push-button might be better?

Last edited:
its a 12v 9 amp blower
the objective of that timer was to turn on the fan 1 our than off one hour and again.

Hi horspiste,

what an overkill! Are you going to suck visitors through the fan? A 12V/9A fan is mighty powerful (and as loud as a jet engine) and will waste a lot of energy.

The kind of fan you have planned will exchange the room air about 1,000 times per hour assuming 3cubicmeters for the restroom and 3,000cubicmeters of air flow per hour.

For a restroom a 12V/1A fan is more than sufficient. To save energy I suggest to use the fan for a limited time of 10minutes only per visit.

My suggestion, even taking care of lazy or unconcerned people: Trigger the fan (and possibly the light) when the door is opened and and switch off both if the door is opened a second time. (you might want to add a delay for the fan to keep running a certain time after a person has left the restroom, or spray perfume :) )

You might also tell your fellow citizens to reduce consumption of onions and garlic which both produce green house gases. :)

Boncuk (your neighbor in Europe)

Hi again

i will explain more my system so it will help you to help me.

the blower doesnt suck the air from the room it is actually located under the shelter and suck the air from the poo tank and blow it out through a chimney up on the roof. that is why it has to be powerful. It is also why i dont want to have any other person having control on the switch than me (the switch is not in the room) so when i arrive i turn it on and i let it go on automatic mode on hour off 1 hour on 1 hour off 1 hour....before it used to run 24/hours a day it was to much for the batteries. that is why i decided to install the timer.

also can you point me one model of A momentary push-button switch.

thank you

denis

Ok, so you want a toggle switch. When the switch is OFF, nothing runs. When the switch is ON, the timer is powered, and runs as long as the switch is ON. While the timer is powered, the timer should toggle between two equal settable periods; FAN ON period, and FAN OFF period.

The attached schematic should do that. Look at the attached PDF data sheet. Make sure that you have the H3CR-A with no other suffix letters.

Attachments

• FartFan.png
    FartFan.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 3,313
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back