Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v DC to 12V AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sancan1

Would anyone sell me the schematics to build a transformer to use an AC water pump with my pc case power supply?

The source is: 12v DC
water pump: 12v AC 60hz 0.2A

Someone told me that its easier to use a 110v AC transformer, but I would like to use the 12v DC output (yellow cable) just to make less modifications.

Thanks.- :D

I think you would have to use another transformer anyway. because if you made a square wave oscillator, 60HZ, amplified it with some mosfets, you would only have 6vac. So you would have to use a step up transformer with a 1:2 ratio. Whoever gave you the advice of just using the 12v transformer from 110vac was right. It would be alot easier. Just remove the transformer and add a fuse, and your good to go.

I agree with johneppen - since your PC already has AC going to it, to use a 110V/12V transformer is far simpler than building an inverter, and you will get a better quality wave. The output of a square wave inverter is not much good for driving inductive loads, like motors.

But be careful, please - incorrect mains wiring = dead PC user :(

sancan1 said:
Would anyone sell me the schematics to build a transformer to use an AC water pump with my pc case power supply?

The source is: 12v DC
water pump: 12v AC 60hz 0.2A
Why would you want a water pump in your PC? :?:
If you mean to use a PC power supply to power the pump, forget it.
The pump is only 0.2A and 12v, 0.2A transformers aren't that expensive.
https://www.radioshack.com/product....name=CTLG_010_009_003_000&product_id=273-1385
Here is one transformer for $4 that can handle 12v@0.3A.

star882:
I need a water pump in my pc because I'm building a water cooling system. I´ve tested 3 pumps already: One 12vDC and a 12vAC. Both burned out 20 minutes after staring the test. The third one I tested was a 12vAC (Fountain pro - Made in China) that works fine. I thought of a "12vdc to 12vac" transformer as the easiest way to pug it in the system.

As everyone keeps telling me thay the easiest way is to transform directly from 110VAC, I´ve already installed a 110v/12v transformer that uses a MOC 3041 chip to turn the pump on when I turn the computer on (not using a relay). If anyone needs this diagram, please ask (sancan1@hotmail.com) and I´ll send it.

Thanks to all for your comments :!:

think of something ....
BE CAREFUL!!!!!1
if a drop of water falls on the hot processor you will very probably destroy it.
and if it falls on a bard .....you think. probably it wouldnt destrouy it but the software will have a ton of errors.
so back to the circuit. i think that it is batter to use a transformer to drive the pump and the circuit you designed to turn on the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back