Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V DC to 120V ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedogg418

I wanna hook up 12v dc components to 120v ac. Directly splicing the power wires will fry the devices right? and i heard a power supply from a computer can b used as a converter? can ne one help me out with this plz

I wanna hook up 12v dc components to 120v ac. Directly splicing the power wires will fry the devices right? and i heard a power supply from a computer can b used as a converter? can ne one help me out with this plz

Hooking most anything that wants 12V DC to 110V AC will most likely destroy it. In some cases it will be a dramatic event resulting in a call to 911 to put out the fire or transport an injured person. Don't do it.

Computer power supplies do have a 12V DC output, however it takes a bit of work to convert them into a usable, general purpose power supply. Here's a link to a site with one example:

How to Convert a Computer ATX Power Supply to a Lab Power Supply (with video) - wikiHow

Use your favorite browser to find other sites, search for "converting a computer power supply".

Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back