Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V 1A Device running on a 12V 0.5A Power Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

massiveoni

Heya,

This is my first post here, and i am wondering if someone can help me,

I have a problem, i have 2 linksys cisco routers, but one of the power packs is stuffed, one is 12V 1A (the one with the stuffed power pack) and the other is 12V but 0.5A (power pack works 100%).

Now the 0.5A power pack runs on the 1A device, but i just want to make sure that neither item will get damaged if is used in combination for long periods.

And just a random question, what would happen if the opposite happened, if someone used a 1A power pack on a 0.5A device?

Thanks

MassiveOni

current ( A) is only draw from the power supply as required, so putting a 1A power supply on a 0.5A router wouldnt bother it in the slightest.

on the other hand, with the way you are currently using your power supply you are asking the router to try and use 1A of power from a power supply that can only deliver 0.5A. this can lead to the power supply getting rather warm or possibly packing in altogether.

if you can use the other router thats what i would do.

What 'cobra1' said. But to put it another way...

Voltage MUST be matched.

And when it comes to Current; as long as the Transformer is rated at more than the Load, there wont be a problem.

ahh ok,

atm i am using the access point that has the 0.5A power pack, but i want to use the router that has the dead 1A power pack, its all good, as the person who i purchased it off on ebay, is going to send me another power pack for it.

thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back