Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V 10A to USB-C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatonenerd

Hi there, is there any way to use 12v 10a current with a USB-C end? There're 240W USB-C cables, but I need the other end to be DC, or something else that already exists if it does?

Could it be possible to cut an existing cable such as the picture I have attached, & join a 240W USB-C cable end to it?

I was also told a PD- Trigger board might help? But unsure which one to get, or how I'd set that up, if it'd work for 12V 10A.
image-15.png

Thank you! =)

Sure it is possible to cut & connect a $50 USB-C 5A 48V cable to a $50 USB-C trigger for 21V 6A, with a 10A cable but you haven't described any expectations

NO. If you connect a 12 volt supply to a USB C connect, anything you connect will be DESTROYED.

A USB C PD can provide several voltages (12 volts is no longer included in the spec) but the power supply MUST provide 5 volts until a higher voltage is negotiated.

What about an amperage step down board? Keeping the voltage the same, while lowering the amps so I can use the correct current? 12V 10A to 12V 3A ~ 5A?

I want to run a 12v 3A Mele Quieter plus a few other things on the same power adapter. It'd be easier if there was a regular DC jack on it. I'm wanting to run a 12v 4A LCD monitor too, using a board like this: ebay lcd controller board

Attempting a portable computer solution.

If you are going to connect some USB device to your power source it MUST supply 5 volts initially and have the smarts to NEGOTIATE a higher voltage. Any USB device you connect to a 12 volt source will die a painful death.

If you want to use a high power USB charger to supply voltage, this is possible but probably not at the current you need; 12 volts might be possible, but it is no longer included the the standard that specifies the voltage options.

Someday people will learn that USB is Universal Serial Bus (was upper side band) for data transfer with the added convenience of supplying a tiny bit of voltage supply for operating tiny devices.

And now from the masses using those hair thin connections in cheap or free comfort and abundance, their use has been prostituted into supplying power with them.
-They are not Universal Supply Bonds-

Someday people will learn that USB is Universal Serial Bus (was upper side band) for data transfer with the added convenience of supplying a tiny bit of voltage supply for operating tiny devices.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you somewhat.

USB C PD (Power Delivery) chargers can supply a lot of power. I have written other posts here about using a single USB C PD charger while traveling to charge my laptop, phone, a few small USB devices AND power my CPAP at the same time.

The most interesting case is powering my CPAP, which needs 12 volts at about 3 amps. 12 volt power delivery is not in the PD specification any longer, although some chargers are available that can supply 12 volts. But I didn't want to depend on a non-standard PD feature.

So the next best thing was to get a 21 volt USB C PD "21 volt trigger" which is a tiny circuit board with a USB C connector and the necessary smarts to ask the USB C PD charger to supply 21 volts. From there, I added a reasonably high current buck regulator to provide 3 amps to my CPAP. Works like a charm!

Please look for my other post for details.

People must learn how to express needs in basic specifications rather than choosing some gadgets

USB C is one thing; USB C PD is another; and 21V USB C with a trigger circuit board another that confirms the prostitution of a data cable instead of a proper supply plain cord where the serial data plays no role.

By the way, what is the gauge of wires in it ? What is the meaning of "240W" ?

But hey!~ it is your equipment, do whatever wrong you want with it.

Sorry. You're just plain wrong.

Here's the post with my discoveries about USB C PD. It's pretty straight forward once you understand what's possible.

Here's a great overview of USB C PD on Hack-A-Day. There are a couple good follow-on articles by the same author regarding the nitty-gritty of the protocol.

When I say these chargers can deliver "a lot" of power....just look at the pictures.

SmartSelect_20230327_095855_Edge.jpg

SmartSelect_20230327_095922_Edge.jpg

SmartSelect_20230327_100002_Edge.jpg

Thanks everyone, and for the links Popcorn, it's much appreciated =)

What about this adapter? Amazon Adapter

Will this work to take the 12v 10a in, & output the same 120w, as well as provide 12V 3A to the usb slot?
That is not what it says.
Read like this.
3.1A max is the output
and 12 or 24V is the input (standard auto or truck types)
It says at the top 70W but near the bottom more likely is

Wattage ‎60 watts
Power source type ‎Battery Powered

But if your car is running with 14.2V then with 3.1A, you can expect P = 14.2*3.1 best case load.

That is not what it says.
Read like this.
3.1A max is the output
and 12 or 24V is the input (standard auto or truck types)
It says at the top 70W but near the bottom more likely is

Wattage ‎60 watts
Power source type ‎Battery Powered

But if your car is running with 14.2V then with 3.1A, you can expect P = 14.2*3.1 best case load.
Thanks. This one might be better then possibly? Amazon Adapter

Maybe not Im thinking. Any adapters you could recommend?

I think this one will work:
2 Port Adapter
Then plug in a 12v USB-C compatible adapter to one of the sockets. Such as this one: Amazon Cigarette USB-C

Is that a good route? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back