Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12dc step down 1.5 to 2.5 variable pwm

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunbeach

It's been awhile since I have dabbled so please excuse me if something sounds somewhat off. (laughing at self)

I have read through a number of threads and I can see I'm behind the times and the reason for the seemly ignorant question.

I want to downconvert 12v dc vehicle power to a variable (1.25 to 2.5v) high current source. In addition I plan on pulsing this variable output.

Is there another way around downconverting the voltage while increasing the current without the use of a transformer?

My question is this, with the newer high output FETs on the market that seem to be able to handle high currents, is it possible or could someone send me to an example of performing this operation without a transformer. Perhaps by controlling the duty cycle on a FET?

I understand that by decreasing the duty cycle I can make it look like a lower voltage with good filtering, (I think) but can I use the filtering as a simultaneous current source?

input 12v 10A > duty cycle on FET > filter > output + filter storage (cap) > filter > 2.5v output 48A

as opposed to

input 12v 10A > transformer > 2.5v output 48A

Again, with all honesty I have been away for awhile.

Thank you in advance.

Is there another way around downconverting the voltage while increasing the current without the use of a transformer?
You can do it without a transformer, but you will need an inductor and a fast-recovery catch diode. Google "switch-mode power supply", "buck converter", or "switching converter". Visit the National, T.I. and Linear Technology web sites and search in their power semiconductor application notes, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back