Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12DC Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Graham,

'm getting confused over A & B

They are just, as labeled, "cursors". You can adjust them to mark vertical points (lines) on a trace (signal) of interest to you.

The Garmin, you can power through the USB connector, but it doesn't act the same as thru 12 V power. There are two cords. One with the traffic stuff and one without. You can always canibalize a cord and put on of the other ends that I reccomended. in fact, you should try to pick up a socket (the one with the lock) and a plug. The socket would have the waterproof cap. My list of devices might include:
1. Vid camera
2. GPS - with/without traffic; th former is tough to deal with.
3. Cell phone - lots of charging issues depending on model. The only constant is change here.
4. Helmet headphone/mic system (Wireless/Wired?)
5. Short range communication receiver/transmitter
6. Audio/Radio

These are things that come to mind to me.

Will go through this in the morning now, time to walk bobby **broken link removed**

Graham,

They are just, as labeled, "cursors". You can adjust them to mark vertical points (lines) on a trace (signal) of interest to you.

**broken link removed** ignore me I'm tired, I just had a play, even found out that those other buttons next to the A/B move em up & down, but I was thinking **broken link removed** how do you know where they are going to stop, they were moving that fast, getting dizzy, I hit stop.....relief for my poor eyes....then I thought, hold on.......yep, they still move when signal is stopped.......now it makes sense
**broken link removed** Ignore me, I'm tired

Change the "Trigger" "Mode" to "normal" or "single". That'll stop the slide of the trace across the screen.

Ahh!

I did TRY to describe a REAL scope and thus the probes mean extra capacitance. The extra capacitance makes a high frequency circuit do different things, hence the probes have to attenuate. Divide by 10 etc. This stuff doesn't apply to the virtual scope.

CHA 1, CH2 or CHA or CHAB etc depend on the scope and what they call it.

The Virtual scope has measurement functions:

A: <name>
The XA and XB should be positions, but something doesn't look right. The DX comes from dx or the derivative symbols or a delta X; Note that XB-XA is DA. The idea is to position cursors on the trace to measure times and voltages.

Ahh!

I did TRY to describe a REAL scope and thus the probes mean extra capacitance. The extra capacitance makes a high frequency circuit do different things, hence the probes have to attenuate. Divide by 10 etc. This stuff doesn't apply to the virtual scope.

fair enough, I'm getting one off my dad so all useful **broken link removed**

CBB
I did download LTSpice, but don't know how to use it/them?

Graham (DC & AC coupling and other bits)

suppose we had a signal v(t) = A + B*Sin(C+ωt); also assume that the x-axis is the zero reference.

ω = 2∏f where f is the frequncy. ω is called the radian frequency.
C = a phase shift component in radians
B = is the 0 to peak value of the sin wave, so 5*sin(ωt) has a peak to peak value of 10 volts.

The center of the displayed wave would be at 0 volts (+-5 V)

If the signal was now: v(t) = 10 + 5*Sin(ωt) and:
AC coupling: the center of the waveform would be at 0 volts.
DC coupling: the center of the waveform would be 10/2 = 5 + 5/2 = 2.5 or 7.5 V
Th scope will show that. A 10 v p-p sine wave riding on a 10 V DC level.

The phase C is important, when you have multiple signals, but for a single sine wave, it moves the zero point.

KISS,

Do you have a sim?

EEK! I haven't even had time to getting grips with yours yet.lol
Slow down fella, although you could explain why there are different waves *confused*

KISS, I tried LTspice as well, couldn't work it out, TI is way to go

EEK again, CBB can you translate that onto the sim that I'm about to work on so I understand it, man, I feel a very interesting morning is coming up......panic, me,erm yep.lol

Last edited:
Morning guys

The Garmin, you can power through the USB connector, but it doesn't act the same as thru 12 V power. There are two cords. One with the traffic stuff and one without. You can always canibalize a cord and put on of the other ends that I reccomended. in fact, you should try to pick up a socket (the one with the lock) and a plug. The socket would have the waterproof cap. My list of devices might include:

This was the lead Im using however I cut this box out of the middle of it as Garmin said dora worked on 12v, so now it looks like this, although the socket has been moved to the other side to make room for my powerlet socket

View attachment 61143

1. Vid camera

Uses a ciggy charger 5v 1A supply lead

2. GPS - with/without traffic; th former is tough to deal with.

Al charger leads that have these pcb in ciggy socket seem to work on 12/24v, the 24v bit I dont need, so are they mainly to get steady voltage rather than spike suppressors

3. Cell phone - lots of charging issues depending on model. The only constant is change here.

iphone 3GS, again 5v 1A

4. Helmet headphone/mic system (Wireless/Wired?)
5. Short range communication receiver/transmitter
6. Audio/Radio

comes off direct 12v through this but radio will be powered seperately even though it plugs into this unit

so we basically have some 12v units, autocom, just mentioned, oiler
Dora the expoler
Bluetooth module

then the camera & phone on 5v, as you can see even the oiler is electronic, so I had choice of a million connections to the battery or choose to put them somewhere out of the way, then the ciggy chargers are just too big & if there main function is so people can use them with 12/24v, I don't really need that part, however I would like the system to be interference free & protected.
Then the 5v side of things adaptable in case I ever change units, one power supply made right, using switchcraft sockets, if leads have to altered on the units then so be it

now to learn about AC **broken link removed** just looking at sim CBB

This is going to be interesting, just noticed it is AC & DC, Ill knock sim up but then expect a million questions **broken link removed**

Ok, Im restraining myself, sim up & running, I shall do the other bit first before asking

View attachment 61144

so your saying ther DC side of things, the waves runs 0.33v above the line like this, I'm still resisting bombarding you with questions until I've finished, apart from how are you measuring them, are you exporting data to get the graph like me or is there another way?

View attachment 61145

ok, first understanding:
DC & AC can run at the same time but Dc is on an elavated signal compared to running DC off a battery
questions from your sim:

Last edited:
Works for me.

BTW, how do you do this "text for link" trick?

comes off direct 12v through this

Somehow with the "Link" option on the Reply menu bar?

Last edited:
Works for me.

Somehow with the "Link" option on the Reply menu bar?

Like so smile.gif

View attachment T29.JPG

Last edited:
Is it my computer or have all my images just dissappeared?

Need to get ready for work now so will ask questions tonight now

Just checked on phone, images have gone?

CBB
Type: photobucket into search, then type: Mutley41 into its search bar
Look under: camera & dora folder, click on first image
Your answer is there my friend :)

Last edited:
"Search" from the upper menu?

Is Mutley41 correct?. The search machine said it wasn't a valid user.

Sad, but I got nowhere.

I'll say.

Very nice pictures. Is that your sweetie?

Although, I must say, I'm at a loss how that relates to

Cowboybob said:

Which, when I thought about it for more than a psec, made me just look at an example (using "reply with quote") and

there it was

(hope it took you to the Google site)

Anyway, back to the task at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back