Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12c508a

Status
Not open for further replies.
brihoo2k said:
Does anyone have a project idea for 12c508a chips as i have many to experiment with?

connect it to a phone and have it send 'all is well messages', could even be phone powered.

Or use a spare pin to ground to send an 'all is not well' message.

The software should ne be too hard, even with a phone that needs its messages in silly pdu format, just store them in pdu format, pdu formatters are on the net.

or have it dial a specific number etc and send a tone/morse..........

would be great to stop your mountain bike etc being stolen, and old phones cost nothing.

lez said:
connect it to a phone and have it send 'all is well messages', could even be phone powered.

Or use a spare pin to ground to send an 'all is not well' message.

The software should ne be too hard, even with a phone that needs its messages in silly pdu format, just store them in pdu format, pdu formatters are on the net.

or have it dial a specific number etc and send a tone/morse..........

would be great to stop your mountain bike etc being stolen, and old phones cost nothing.

Surely it would be simple to add a couple of mammary glands and have it bring up your children.:D

Mike.

Seriously, the only thing I have used this chip for was to read a 4*3 keypad and send it via rs232. Yes, I do know it hasn't enough pins.

Mike.

well i use to use them to modify ps1's but that was then I guess I could use one to make a dial alarm circuit like **broken link removed**

brihoo2k said:
Does anyone have a project idea for 12c508a chips as i have many to experiment with?
How well do you know PIC's?
Did you know that the 12C508 can only be programmed ONCE?
If you want to "PLAY as u Learn" I would suggest using the
PIC12F675 (where F = flash, yes, re-programmable).
So, if you make a programming error, you can simply re-program ;)

How about using 12C508's for doing what someone asked about in the forums?, that is converting a km speedo to miles - 8 pins should be plenty, nice project for you, and you could even sell them (and under cut the current units that do it).

SPDCHK said:
How well do you know PIC's?
Did you know that the 12C508 can only be programmed ONCE?
If you want to "PLAY as u Learn" I would suggest using the
PIC12F675 (where F = flash, yes, re-programmable).
So, if you make a programming error, you can simply re-program ;)
I agree that the pic 12f675 would be a much better choice as im just dabbling in assembly right now . But on the other hand i have a few rails of the 12c508a's just laying around maybe ill see if microchip would be kind enought to send me a sample. Otherwise i'd just buy one. Electronics is not just a hobby with me it is my job. I deal with 3 phase high voltage as well as low voltage control electronics like relay logic, plc's as well as doing circuit boad diagnostics. I persue it with a passion. I can honestly say that I like my job. The more I learn the more I want to learn.

You can use it to make a series decade/binary counters selectable via three or 4 pins.

With one input and one output pin, the output will be a certain ratio determined by the logic level of the setting pins.

So a chip can be made to divide by 4,8,16,32....

Or it can divide by 10,100,1000,......

Or both with eight of each.

With 8 or 16 choices this would make a very useful chip. It is even better if you can make the output a square wave.

Since you mentioned ordering samples, please consider ordering 12F635 and 12F683 samples too (download the Data Sheets). These include an 8-MHz INTOSC instead of a 4-MHz INTOSC, which provides more 'headroom' when bit-banging serial I/O (or doing just about anything), and the 12F683 has a whopping 2K Flash memory and a good set of peripheral modules built-in.

Kind regards, Mike

Be aware that all of the flash chips mentioned are much more powerful that the 509. Code developed on one of the more powerful chips will be hard (impossible unless it's very simple) to port to the 509 due to the 509 having no interrupts and a stack that is only 2 deep.

So, if you do order samples, include a 16F509.

Mike.

ParkingLotLust said:
You can use 12c508a's to make psx modchips.
I know that was my original intention with these chips long ago when i bought them. Psx is old school now so i have a surplus of these chips (they have already paid for themselves).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back