Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1210 smd white led vf

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
i have some normal 1210 size Chinese bog standard white smd Led's, i cant seem to measure the vf on them, i have tried my normal 2 ways 1 using diode thingy on DMM but that just reads OL and lights the led very very dimly, then i tried the setting psu to max I 20mA 5V and then i normaly subtract the voltage reading from 5V to get the vf, but that isnt working!! all the sheets i have seen say they should be about 3V but these must be under 1V ????
any ideas? as i need to run these at around 25mA

White LEDs probably are 3 volt. Most DMM are made to measure 0.7V so they probably don't make enough voltage to measure white LEDs.
With a bench power supply, you can set the current limit to (small) or 25mA and set the voltage so some thing over 3 volts. The voltage across the LED is vf.
If your supply does not have current limit then use a resistor to limit the current.
Example: If all you have is a 5V supply start out with a resistor that will only allow 25mA (more or less) when all 5 volts are across the resistor. This will give you a very safe way to see the forward voltage. Say vf=3V. Now that you know it is a 3VLED change the resistor so that 25mA flows with 2V across the resistor. Now measure the vf at 25mA.

White LEDs probably are 3 volt. Most DMM are made to measure 0.7V so they probably don't make enough voltage to measure white LEDs.
With a bench power supply, you can set the current limit to (small) or 25mA and set the voltage so some thing over 3 volts. The voltage across the LED is vf.
If your supply does not have current limit then use a resistor to limit the current.
Example: If all you have is a 5V supply start out with a resistor that will only allow 25mA (more or less) when all 5 volts are across the resistor. This will give you a very safe way to see the forward voltage. Say vf=3V. Now that you know it is a 3VLED change the resistor so that 25mA flows with 2V across the resistor. Now measure the vf at 25mA.
i tried this way with psu. i set I max 20 mA V=5V and the ocp cut in! its really odd! maybe it's a iffy Led i will try another :D, normally my DMM measures Leds no problem but not this time!

A red LED might have a vf of 1.5V while a white is more like 3V. Some have two dies inside so the vf is 6v.
The OCP should cut in at about 3 volts and 20mA. It is probably working. Was there light?
LEDs are current devices not voltage devices. So setting the OCP at 20mA is a good plan.

i will try again later, these are the first smd's to give me trouble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back