Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

breg

I have a computer display thats a 15 inch lcd display. It uses a 12 volt wall wort to get its power. Can I hook this display to a 12 volt car battery safely. Thanks.

It will work. Place a amperemeter (10 ampere) between
your + of the battery and the + of your equipment.
I thought the formula was:
Q=I.T

for example
Q=a battery of 44Ah
I=3 ampere for the equipment

T=time
T=Q/I
44Ah/3A=14.6 hours of working
8)

thanks

Thanks so much. I,m not worried so much about how long it will last on the battery but if the battery would supply too much amperage for the display. Thanks again Greg

If the monitor (or any other load, for that matter), is functioning correctly, you cannot have "too much" amperage (current). The load will only draw as much current as it needs, despite the battery being able to supply more.

BTW, can someone translate "wall wort" to Australian English?? I think you mean a socket outlet, but I'm not sure... And is it 12V AC, or DC?

EDIT: I think I realise... a small DC plugin supply.

Its the device that plugs into the outlet and usually brings the voltage down to a certain level. You know the little black wort like thing.

I suggest a 12V zener voltage regulator should be put before the display because in case the battery is full charged the terminal voltage tend to go slightly beyond 12V which may damage your LCD circuitry if it is not protected already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back