Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 volt stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yiannis31

i am looking forward to built an 12 volt voltage stabilizer for the car battery.
i saw that a couple of capasitors can do the job placed in parallel. i dont know the price of them and if they can stand the several amps that need the motor
if we have any circuit of that i will be gratefull :)

the car is powered with 2 amps and i am thinking also to put some extra wire connections to the ground i want to built something similar to this to get my idea
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Nigel Goodwin said:
Don't waste your time, it's not going to help anything! - it's just a con.

that think yes is very chip probably contains a sum of capacitors. people that try that thing or similar say that they have better results with lights etc.
you think is better to put some capacitors in parallel to the amplifiers to prevent smoother voltage? i was thinking of 4x10000 mf

Car electrical systems are very noisy. Alternators are slow to respond to increases in demand for power.

As a result, it can be useful to add large capacitors near to a large amplifier.

However, like most tuning accesories, they rarely make as much improvement as they claim.

I wouldn't have thought that 4 x 10,000 :mu:F would be much use. Stiffening capacitors for car audio seem to be in the 0.5 F - 3 F range.

I don't see the point.

A car battery can easilly handle 100A surges.

If an amplifier wants to draw huge peak currents then the wiring inductance and resistance needs to be low enough. Somehow I don't think a 1F capacitor will have a low ESR and ESL; it's self resonant frequency might be as low as 200Hz which is totally useless.

Hero999 said:
I don't see the point.

A car battery can easilly handle 100A surges.

If an amplifier wants to draw huge peak currents then the wiring inductance and resistance needs to be low enough. Somehow I don't think a 1F capacitor will have a low ESR and ESL; it's self resonant frequency might be as low as 200Hz which is totally useless.

The point is the capacitor is in the boot next to the amplifier, so decouples the long leads from the battery in the front.

Can't really say if it helps or not?, it's mostly a cosmetic gimmick, with LED's on it!.

The stiffening capacitors are probably a combination of various sizes of capacitor, which would increase the self resonant frequency up a lot. It would certainly improve the high frequency response.

The car battery will supply 1000A or so, but the battery voltage will be dipping, and if an amplifier is far from the battery, a big capacitor is a good idea.

It is always good practice to add a capacitor near the point where current is used, especially if the load varies. Car amplifiers are no exception.

Having said that, anything can be badly engineered.

Nigel Goodwin said:
The point is the capacitor is in the boot next to the amplifier, so decouples the long leads from the battery in the front.

Can't really say if it helps or not?, it's mostly a cosmetic gimmick, with LED's on it!.
It doesn't matter, the ESL of he capacitor is unlikely to be below 1:mu:H which gives a self resonant frequency of just 159Hz at 1F - totaly useless for bass.

This still sounds too good to be true, the ESL of such a huge capacitor is likely to be much higher than 1:mu:H and if you consider all the wiring up to and inside the amp, it wouldn't surprise me if that capacitor rings at 50Hz or lower which is even worse.

current stabilizer as spark enhancer

i think large capacitors placed near high power uses would make a difference. my main interest is the spark. so near the ignition coil. with the ground going right to the head. if it was big enough it would be a weight on the alternator till it was charged. so i think i will add a switch to turn it on after the engine is running. or another near the headlight so it doesn't flash as much if you have a weak alt or batt. I read about an old moped that stock had a large array of capps instead of a batt.
The gizmos they sell are usually two or more sizes of caps. i have a test rig and will be able to test this. i modify single cylinder gautomotivey6 mopeds.
anyone have a supply of large caps? i have several k of 1N4004 to trade or share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back